Parents Do you take your kids to watch the other sessions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto2js

Proud Parent
The schedule for out next meet just came out. Boys will be on Friday, levels 6-10 from 8:30-1 and 4 & 5 in the afternoon. The meet is about 2 hours away. I was considering taking DS an hour or two early to let him watch the older guys on his team in the morning but I'm not sure it that will make it too long of a day for my 6 year old. Any ideas, Either way he is missing the day of school.

Sometimes we do. WE are usually a little early for the meet, and he will go in and watch. I often don't because some meets will want you to pay to get in to that session, leave, and pay to come back in to watch the next session. My son enjoys watching.

We will sometimes go to an earlier session but not a session afterwards. DD is usually hungry by then. Sometimes if the optionals are the next day we will stay and watch a morning session or two.

We have never watched a second session because the meets are long enough for my dd without adding more time at the venue, plus we always have my son with us and I think he would revolt if I even suggested staying any longer.

We do this at several meets a year, just depends on the timing of the sessions. Often times, I will do adds hair in the stands while we watch her teammates compete before her session. We have small teams at the upper levels so its nice to have the girls gets some cheering from teammates in the stands

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I would just go a little early. An hour maybe. We went to regionals to watch the older boys (local) but it was the day after my L4 6 year old competed. He really enjoyed it bc we had very few older boys in our gym.

We tend to do this at the meet our gym hosts for the girls, but we don't have a boys' meet. For the first time, we have a good chance to go see the upper level guys strut their stuff this weekend, because the meet is hella far away, the 8-10s compete tomorrow early evening, and I don't want to arrive at Meet City after dark. DS is looking forward to it -- we've never seen these guys compete before.

At our hosted meet, it's really wonderful to get a chance to see a lot of the different levels. At this point, DD has competed on teams with girls who will be doing levels 6-9 this year, so we have some significant emotional investment in just about every level! And now we are starting to see little sisters competing L5 and little brothers L4 . . . so fun!

If my DD expresses interest in watching another session, I am more than happy to do so for her. She usually wants to watch stuff on days when she herself isn't competing - like go the day before or come back the day after (probably doesn't want to be too tired), and when it's the Optional levels (she loves the higher level beam and floor routines...more for choreography than skills I think ;)).

Usually, yes. We like to go and support the other girls on her team, so try to make it whenever we can. That said, I wouldn't have her miss more school to see someone else's meet (unless it were a sibling or something). Of course it's also usually just me and her at the meets--no siblings having to sit through another session :).

We go as long as it is just DD and me. DS cannot last that long and I've never thought it was fair to him to make him go. We have a local meet in a few weeks and we'll be going to watch the older girls compete. The optional girls are so good about coming to the compulsory girls' local meets, so DD wants to be there to support them.

We do. Daughter loves to go and support other groups from her club and the coaches encourage it. I think it helps take some of the pressure and focus off her as an individual.

DD and her teammates love watching each other so we do it as long as she is not competing later that day (coach does not like them to spend hours in the stands if they have a later session). If there are seasons afterwards, definitely. We usually grab a quick snack and the everyone eats together when they are all done, especially if it's a travel meet.

Our coaches strongly encourage the girls to NOT come early to a competition. They are usually instructed to show up 20 to 30 minutes prior to warm up. Staying after the session they compete in isn't an issue at all, and we have done this many times :). This has been the way it has been since the very beginning of dd's gym career (many long long years ago, lol).

Since Bella is a only child, I never have to worry about entertaining siblings. We tend to either come early or stay after quite a bit. This is especially true if the meet breaks levels up and has different age groups in different sessions. Because we are a small gym, it isn't unusual for one of our girls to be competing by herself in a session. We definitely go and support that team member, regardless of level. And if the optionals are before/after us, DEFINITELY.

We are lucky. We are in a YMCA League (but do the same routines and levels as private USAG Clubs and have the same judges and standards). There is never an admission fee to watch (until Zones aka Regionals and NAtionals), so we watch multiple sessions each meet. Most of our meets are only 3 sessions, all the same day. With a DD8 Level 4 and a DD11 Excel Gold, we are usually 1st and 3rd session- so we watch it all :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back