WAG Does your child's/gym's conditionning program include the use of weights?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
....I remember starting doing nautilus weights at age 10 for a completely different sport. Currently, my child's gym uses ankle and wrist weights, no free weights, etc, in their conditioning program. My friend's child in a neighboring state uses free weights, but no ankle or wrist weights...no idea how they are used, as my dd's gym doesn't use them. I am fine with this btw...she has the rest of her life to use weights if she so desires...but wondered:

Does your gym/child's gym use weights in their conditioning program, and if so, in what shape or form?

Yes free weights. No ankle/wrist weights. Their conditioning routine changes every month, and usually there is at least one circuit incorporating free weights.

Small ankle and wrist weights, occasionally a weighted vest. They will do wall squats and russian twists with 10-25 plates. There are some drills with medicine balls and lots of resistance bands. So they do go beyond just body weight, but no machines or free weights of significance.

Yes, free weights, no ankle or wrist. Not until they are at least level 4 and how much weight is directly related to size and age of the kid. And they are only used during conditioning.

Ankle weights, resistance bands, hanging rope, wall bars, occasional parallel bars, heavier spot block mats, some rudimentary nautilus, and occasional free weights but I think no heavier than 5 pounds for my daughter's level.

Dumbbells - No more than 15 lbs. Bands. They do circuit style training and pilates and yoga videos together as a team. That is particularly fun to watch. :)

My dd's gym uses ankle weights (1.5lbs each, they buy their own pair) and occasionally free weights. The free weights are for conditioning (lunges and squats mostly from what I've seen) and sometimes used during beam conditioning.

Our gymnasts have a periodized conditioning circuit that changes throughout the year. Preteam and level 3s pretty much all have the same list, but as they get older, some go through puberty earlier or later, deal with specific injuries or weaknesses, they end up with individual lists. We rarely use ankle weights, but they do use free weights (and bands) as part of conditioning. Level 2s might start off holding a 5lb for added resistance during calf raises. Most of our older teens do some "real" weightlifting: bench press, overhead press, weighted squats.

Level 2s might start off holding a 5lb for added resistance during calf raises. Most of our older teens do some "real" weightlifting: bench press, overhead press, weighted squats.

Curious how old are the Level 2s are using weights???

And why???? At Level 2 that is???

Curious how old are the Level 2s are using weights???

And why???? At Level 2 that is???
The itty bitty ones don't use any additional weight. They might add 5 lbs on calf raises, for example, when they are 7, 8, 9, 10 years old and it is easy for them to do their reps with good form. I thought it was weird to have compulsories lifting weights when I started working there. There are several people on staff with advanced certifications and degrees in exercise science, kinesiology, and personal training who design the conditioning programs. We don't have many injuries though, so it seems to be working.

Levels kids use ankle and wrist weights, but none of that swinging stuff. I think they have printed workouts they stick into a "gym book" each week, which does circuit-type activities.

Rec doesn't tend to use weights, as the conditioning is less strenuous. Good for me :)

Ankle weights - sparingly and never for jumps/leaps or leg lifts. They will be for things like dish holds and rocks.

Resistance bands - a lot

Free weights - often for certain exercises but Tailored to each gymnast.

DD and her teammates use resistance bands, but I have never seen weights being used.

The girls do lots of push-ups, chin-ups, rope, jumping rope, suicides, etc. DD is training L6 and seem to have adequate strength at least so far.

At the gym I coach at they sometimes use ankle and/or wrist weights for compulsory beam routines and BHS-step out onto a mat. No, no, no, I hate seeing it.

At the gym I trained at we used weights or resistance bands for active flexibility and some things in conditioning (eg weighted pull-ups and leg lifts). Never for actual gymnastics skills. I felt sometimes that using ankle weights during certain conditioning exercises (jumping up to boxes especially) gave me joint pain, so I just wouldn't use them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back