WAG Elite or Long term Level 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
How do you know that your kid should take a shot at elite? At what age/level do you need to make the decision? What size training group is best for elite training? What does elite do for your chances of a college scholarship vs spending several years at Level 10? What hours are elites training (realistically) vs good level 10s?

Coaches and parents opinions are welcome.

Don't have much to offer, though I am also curious about this. I have been told DD has a chance to make elite, but don't really know how to tell whether they're just trying to butter me up. Other parents (so, not exactly experts) say the same thing, but I largely just ignore them.

Can't answer all the questions but based on our experience to date, my DD's coaches identified her at a very young age as having elite potential. She just turned 12 and is training both pre-elite and L10. She didn't start pre-elite training until last fall because I wasn't willing to put her through that without her understanding the choices she was facing. Her pre-elite group is very small (under 5) as compared to her Level 10 team (10+). She trains with both. She also does 10 more hours a week training than the 10s. It's basically a fulltime job for her.

In terms of scholarships, if she survives that long, some of the top Div. 1 schools want elites but the vast majority look for really good L10s rather than simply elites.

All I know is that my DD can't get enough of the gym.

It is not just in your child's talent but also in their personality. Is your child the type that would be prepared to give up everything else for gymnastics, say no to every party and outing, do homework until the early hours of the morning so no training will be missed etc. are they prepared to train 6-7 hours a day 6 days a week 52 weeks a year.

do they embrace the challenge of more difficult skills or do they get scared, when asked for 20 chin ups do they do 25 instead to make sure they are the strongest and best. Are they internally driven and willing to work on their own for as long as it takes to master a skill.

are you prepared to make your child's gymnastics the centre of their life and put it above all else often including education, family, faith and sometimes even health. Are you prepared to make your child's gymnastics the centre of your life?

"are you prepared to make your child's gymnastics the centre of their life and put it above all else often including education, family, faith and sometimes even health."

Umm, I think if anyone answers yes to ALL of these questions, they will not be an elite champion. They will not have the strength of character that is required. Some of these things are the foundation of healthy body, mind and spirit. And those who don't have a healthy body, mind and spirit and are infinitely more likely to crash and burn in their pursuit of excellence. There are lots of ways to make education, family, faith and health a priority, the key is to find a way to fit those things into your life as a gymnast. Without them you are toast. If not today, eventually. Just my opinion of course.

"are you prepared to make your child's gymnastics the centre of their life and put it above all else often including education, family, faith and sometimes even health."

Umm, I think if anyone answers yes to ALL of these questions, they will not be an elite champion. They will not have the strength of character that is required. Some of these things are the foundation of healthy body, mind and spirit. And those who don't have a healthy body, mind and spirit and are infinitely more likely to crash and burn in their pursuit of excellence. There are lots of ways to make education, family, faith and health a priority, the key is to find a way to fit those things into your life as a gymnast. Without them you are toast. If not today, eventually. Just my opinion of course.

I took aussie's post to mean that everything revolves around gymnastics. No decision is made without first knowing how gymnastics will be affected - including health. A multi year level 10 has a lot more wiggle room, taking extra time to heal injuries, taking a vacation, going to special events, etc.

I don't know for sure but I am taking an educated guess that there are a lot more girls out there that have the actual talent to make elite. They just don't have the drive for various reasons.

I would love to see the percentage of girls who competed elite that are still in gymnastics at age 20 compared to L10s still competing. It seems to me there is a great probability of L10s staying with it through college age, though I'm guessing here.

I would only make the decision to pursue if I saw my child had an ideal body type (very sturdy body type, good overall flexibility but sufficiently tight ligaments for stability, very straight body type with good posture), very focused and not easily fatigued, makes corrections quickly, high pain tolerance, very little fear/vestibular issues, does not exhibit signs of stress based disorders, and available coaching was good, safe coaching.

Not saying that every single piece of this has been in place for every elite in history, but personally that is the only combination of factors that would convince me to go through the infinite added stress over just pursuing level 10 (still extremely challenging, with appropriate pacing). I would have to see that my child would max out level 10 routines without showing signs of stress, fatigue, injury, or fear. No problem if they do not have all of these things, they can still be a very good gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back