MAG First meet in the books

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Pretty sure some organizational/session confusion is stemming from the original announcement of JD as having L8, L9, and L10 and the later clarification that it's just two age groups. But that shouldn't affect compulsories. Our coach warned us to expect scoring screw ups this year, particularly early in the season. He just succeeded in getting all of his L9 guys properly listed as L9 for the first meet (rather than L8) and got his JD guys set to compete with the L9s instead of with the L8s so he doesn't have to do an extra session. Still waiting to see if the older JD guys will be put with the 9s or 10s . . .
Okay, I looked again the only JD scores above 10.0 were vault. I think other events are scored out of a 10.

THere were some floor scores above 10 as well in the upper JD age group

Yeah, that should not be if I understand the scoring right. I thought that the maximum possible score for JD other than vault was 10.2 (.1 for stick, .1 for a low deduction routine).

So, they can do that? request that kids be put in certain sessions? how will that affect scoring/placements if other boys in the same age group are in the L8 Session?

No freaking idea. I will let you know when we have our first meet in two weeks. I assume they'll just do it the way the girls do and have individual awards within each session. For team, though, I have no clue. At the first meet, we could probably really use the JD guys in the proper age group for L9. But I presume team awards will separate out JO and JD.

No freaking idea. I will let you know when we have our first meet in two weeks. I assume they'll just do it the way the girls do and have individual awards within each session. For team, though, I have no clue. At the first meet, we could probably really use the JD guys in the proper age group for L9. But I presume team awards will separate out JO and JD.

That was my thought. And if a team has JD competing in a session without a JD group, they might not be eligible for awards. We have had that come up a few times with kiddos that can't compete Saturdays. But since the age groups overlap 8/9, and it is only one, it will be interesting. Most of what I have seen out here is they have JD listed in a session, and that is when you compete. I have seen them with level 8, and 9/10

Here's another datum for you all. Judges' Cup yesterday, last compulsory session's awards ran two hours. Our program director's worst fears appear to have been realized at least for that meet.

Yay for getting that first meet done and over! That's the most stressful because you're sort of in limbo wondering how good the competition is. It sets a base line (at least for us, most of the same gyms go to the same places...)

Don't like hearing about the long award ceremonies though....We got the schedules for our first upcoming meet and it seems that they have L4s and L5s in the same session. I know that our gym isn't sending the L4s to this one, but that alone made me feel "argh" about the awards ceremonies.

I agree. I hate when they group them, unless they are running 2 judges, and no breaks. We have one meet that does this and it goes rather quickly.

Reactions: sce
OMG, 4s and 5s together? Yikes!

Yeah. That's totally what I thought when I got the email. I just now thought to double-check and it is indeed correct. (6-10s are second session the same day).

They must not have had a good response to their meet. I don't know if it's the changing routines or just a general lull in boys
in gymnastics. Maybe just that it was early in the season? There seems to be a lot of "you come to mine and I'll go to yours" when it comes to the decision making, and I know that our coach tries to do a mix of "easier" meets where kids who aren't as good can still get medals and "tougher" ones to challenge the kids who do better, but I don't know. I honestly have no idea. I'd say that it was one of my favorite meets last year.

Reactions: sce
If they are going to do 4 and 5s together, or any group with more than 80 athletes in a session, it should be the last session of the day, then if you run late, it sucks for you but not everyone the rest of the day. At our meet the entire day was more than 90 minutes late on the floor. The session after us was more than 1/2 over when we finished awards!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back