flicks on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meeeshymoo

Proud Parent
Hello

I wonder if you lovely people can assist....

DD is learning flicks on beam, however her flick from standing is not looking good, so is learning back walkover, flick to one and tick tock flick to two. She needs the extra momentum. All the other girls in her group are doing standing flicks, and I am wondering how this would affect scoring when she starts to compete them ?, if it even does make a difference. We are UK system, so she is competing grades in spring and voluntary levels in autumn. Competed as an out of age level 4 at other competitions.

I have no issue with what she is learning, just wondering how it would score.

Her back walkover flick to one is looking lovely on lower beams, yet to transfer it to the high beam. Not seen the tick tock thing yet !!.

Thank you :)

lol. gymnastics is universal...but maybe not the vernacular so much. is "flick" a back handspring? or a "tick tock"? it may be just because it's late but i'm not following and would love to pipe in.:)

lol. gymnastics is universal...but maybe not the vernacular so much. is "flick" a back handspring? or a "tick tock"? it may be just because it's late but i'm not following and would love to pipe in.:)

Yes, a flick is a back handspring, In aus its often a flick or a flip instead of a back handspring and a tic tock is like a forward walkover but stopping in bridge with one foot on the beam one foot up and then kicking back over like a bridge kickover

Lol at Dunno :p

Yes Flick is back handspring. Tick Tock is forward walkover to the first landing foot and back the way you came, through splits and under control.

OP, the back walk - flick on beam, if connected properly, gets a connection bonus on top of the value of the 2 skills. If not connected (eg a pause or extra arm swing in between) the you still get the value of the skill in the same way you would a standing flick. I don't know compulsory scoring so don't know if the bonus is applicable to your daughter yet.

Interested in Dunno's thought on this subject - the skills obviously, not the UK compulsory scoring :)

Hello

I wonder if you lovely people can assist....

DD is learning flicks on beam, however her flick from standing is not looking good, so is learning back walkover, flick to one and tick tock flick to two. She needs the extra momentum. All the other girls in her group are doing standing flicks, and I am wondering how this would affect scoring when she starts to compete them ?, if it even does make a difference. We are UK system, so she is competing grades in spring and voluntary levels in autumn. Competed as an out of age level 4 at other competitions.

I have no issue with what she is learning, just wondering how it would score.

Her back walkover flick to one is looking lovely on lower beams, yet to transfer it to the high beam. Not seen the tick tock thing yet !!.

Thank you :)

i'm feeling a bit stupid here. could one of you please translate the bold? is it backwalkover> 1 back handspring> 1 tick tock> 1 back handspring?

I read it as she is working 2 different series:

back walkover/back handspring step out
tick tock/back handspring to two feet

Hello, sorry for confusion ! We need an international glossary of terms ! Yes it is backwalkover, back handspring to land on one foot (I think !). Separate move tick rock to back handspring landing on 2 feet . Curious is there an American name for tick rock ? Took me forever to realise a kip is what we call an upstart.....

So funny that you are confused with different terms because I knew all of them even if my language is Finnish and English is just something I studied at school. And there wasn't words like flicks or back walkovers in the wordbook! So I have clarified myself all the gymnastics terminology by following gymnastics sites and Youtube. I have found that there is actually quite many terms that are similar to US or UK terminology in Finnish: a kip is "kippi" and a tick tock is "tik tak" and a flick is "flikki". But then there is some completely different words like a back walkover which is "siltakaato taaksepäin" : D

Well, this was a little bit off topic but I had to share!

I read it as she is working 2 different series:

back walkover/back handspring step out
tick tock/back handspring to two feet

got it! okay then. from a lumbar perspective, i think that the back walkover to back handspring will be better for the long term health of the sacro lumbar region of the spine. those tick tocks can wreak havoc down there just as to many back walkovers will do over time.

So funny that you are confused with different terms because I knew all of them even if my language is Finnish and English is just something I studied at school. And there wasn't words like flicks or back walkovers in the wordbook! So I have clarified myself all the gymnastics terminology by following gymnastics sites and Youtube. I have found that there is actually quite many terms that are similar to US or UK terminology in Finnish: a kip is "kippi" and a tick tock is "tik tak" and a flick is "flikki". But then there is some completely different words like a back walkover which is "siltakaato taaksepäin" : D

Well, this was a little bit off topic but I had to share!

wow! i'd hate to see that come up on a spelling test...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back