WAG Flyaway

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think a flyaway is one of those exceedingly rare skills where you may be better off going by feel than by visual cues.

Do some nice, whippy tap swings, and feel what the bar does as you swing. You should be able to feel how, in the back of your tap, the bar bends down and back -- and then right as you snap your feet up in the front of the swing, the bar also snaps up! That moment where the bar snaps up is where you should release. Think about the bar slingshotting you off into your flyaway.

Any tips on what To look at and what position to be in after you let go? Also, when do you tuck your legs in the flyaway? Before or after you let go.
Tuck after you let go of the bar or you will find yourself pulling into it. I agree with Geoffrey that it is far more about feel than visual cues. To go with what he said, I have the girls do tap swings with a bean bag between their ankles. They then let go of it where they would want their flyaway to go. Down into the ground, too soon. Hit the ceiling right in front of the bar, too late. When they can consistently have a high arcing one that goes halfway across the gym, that's where I tell them to let go. 'Be the bean bag!' It's fun for them and I find it transfers very well. Good luck with that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back