Front Hip Circle, Bent Legs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I recently got my front hip circle, but my legs and arms are bent. I try to tell myself to keep my legs straight throughout the skill but for some reason they always bend or I just flop off the bar and don't make it all the way around. Does anyone have any tips or drills?? Thanks!

The FHC is a timing skill, there is no musceling involved. I have never seen bent arms on the skill but I guess it's because you push yourself up again at the end of the skill. In that case the problem eleminates itself once you get the timing right so your hips stay at the bar.
For straight legs the first step you do is to stop bending your legs ;) It will only get more difficult to get rid of the habit. So really concentrate on straight legs, even if it means dropping off. The good thing about the skill is, that once you get it you get it.
Basically a FHC starts with a super straight body, then you lean over and you stay. straigt. a lot longer than you would think. At one point you need to pike really tight and powerful. The secret is to find that point. Let a coach stand by and clap when you need to pike.
Also have a few spotted ones if wrist shifting is still a problem.
Good luck and be patient, you will get there!

My tip to you would be to perfect the timing. The cause of bent arms is because you're timing isn't right, forcing you to have to muscle it up. Make sure you are standing in a nice tall front support, and look at the highbar!!!! That would be my biggest tip, look at it for as long as you can, the longer, the better! It will make the timing of the skill better and you will be able to finish with straight arms and it will seem so much easier. A slight arch in your back (nothing too big though) at the beginning might help too, but once you are under the bar you want to pike your hips to help you finish the skill.

And as for bent legs, just make sure to squeeze them tight. If you can fix your bent arms and the timing of the skill, keeping your legs straight will come naturally. This maybe because you are trying to wrap around the bar so you don't fall. I used to do that too, it's easy to fix!
Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back