front tuck punch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Okay,

all my girls have GREAT front tucks except one !. She can't get any hights. She has a quick tuck otherwise she would not make it. She finishes in a deep squad.
I tried to tell her low fast punch, but it seems she can't get ANY hight !!Is it a muscle problem ? She can perform a nice tuck on the trampoline and if we use a springboard on floor but if it is just her it looks terrible. Any suggestions ?

Oh and she has the same problem coming out of the round off, her rebound is really bad. But I can't find the problem...

It could be a physical thing, but generally, even if she is never going to be as good as her peers, with the correct technique she should be able to perform a tuck front and rebound jump from a roundoff.

It's really hard to 'diagnose' the problem without video - are you able to provide one?
If not, here are some general tips

Tuck Front
1) Let her have a longer run up at first (I used to be against this idea, but I've warmed to it recently!)
2) Ensure the hurdle is long and low
3) Ensure she is taking off on straight legs with arms up by ears
4) Ask her where she is looking on take off - she should be looking up, not at the floor
5) Do loads on the springboard - it may be a confidence thing which makes her not jump as much as she does when the springboard is in
6) Do some off the floor only, but let her land on a splat mat (thin mat) to absorb some of the impact
7) Do lots of 'straight' legged rebound jumps in conditioning really pushing through the toes and pointing them in the air.
8) Lots of leg conditioning (It could just be that she isn't powerful enough)

Rebound from roundoff:

1) Go back to basics and ensure that her technique is sound
2) Do lots of roundoffs off a raised surface and see if she can rebound
3) Do lots of specific roundoff drills every session especially donkey kicks to encourage a faster 'snap up' action from hands to feet
4) Make sure her arms are by her ears throughout the roundoff, especially the end and that she is looking forwards during the rebound jump, rather than at the floor or her own feet
5) Lots of conditioning as mentioned in the tuck front list!

Good Luck and hope something helped!

I've had this problem quite a few times.

If it's the block into it, then create a stack of mats/blocks at around shoulder height and get the gymnast to run and jump to a handstand.

The other one that worked for one of my boys was create an obstacle that they had to flip over.

These two worked for me, hope this helps.

For the rebound from roundoff I found that including handstand snapdowns worked after using them in conditioning.

Hi

From personal experience i would say that this is most likely a power/physiological problem that will require conditioning to fix, rather than mechanical (technique). Yes technical refinery will help so continue working it of a springboard, over obstacles, trampolines etc..
In the mean time add (for this individual athlete) more leg conditioning strength: such as single leg squats, calf raises, and bounces, step-ups with additional weight, mountain climbers, etc..). In the mean time add progressively over each week snap rebounds, rebound jumps, depth jumps. etc..
Add it progressively otherwise you will risk injury
SO week 1 - 30 rebounds (in whichever way you wanna do it, snap downs, rebound jumps, etc)
Week 2 - 40
Week 3- 50
Week 4 -60
Week 1 - 40
Week 2 - 50
Week 3- 60
This way you can increase the volume slowly, while keeping the intensity higher. 60 rebounds is A LOT!, when you think bout it. Its like doing 60 round-offs, or 60 anything really, and at maximal effort. THis is just an example you will have be to be the judge of how much this gymnast can handle, maybe only 20 rebounds is enough. You also need to consider the foot position (are her feet parallel, or turned out, etc..)

Basically i would just do more strength leg conditioning and do between 30-60 contacts (rebounds) in a training session. Simple way is to add jump rope (using straight legs, rebounding and ensuring toe point). This significantly helps.

make sure her hurdle is long and low
make sure she is not going into it flat footed ( go in off her toes)
and for the punch front tell her to pretend there is a wall she has to get over... we used to put a small cheese mat upright in the pit with someone holding it, and the person would try to do a punch front over it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back