GYMNASTICS on grass

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have cheerleading tryouts in a couple of weeks. I recently got a consistently high round off back handspring back tuck on the competition(spring) floor. The problem is for cheerleading I need it on grass. How much harder are tucks on grass? My tucks on spring floor are about 6ft high . . . is that enough for grass?

can't tell for sure until you do it. hopefully, you did them on the spring floor with shoes. it's a bit different. i don't think they'll let you perform that on grass without shoes. recently means what? 1 week?? 2 weeks?? can someone spot you??

Recently means about a month consistently, and I have done it in 2 competitions. I have also done a round off back handspring on grass already with a small/medium rebound. And yes I have done it with shoes on. As far as spotting goes, I would rather not because it is a tryout, but I guess if completely necessary a coach could be there. Also I might be able to have a panel mat on the grass. Would the panel mat help, hurt or be ineffective?

the mat is an oxymoron in this instance. maybe you should ask your tumbling coach if he/she thinks you're ready?

Thanks for your responses. I asked my coach (with a cheer background) about a week and a half ago if they would be ok on grass and she said they would be fine as long as they are consistent. I am not really afraid of doing them, I was just asking for tips on how to adjust or for other people's experience with spring floors and grass. Is it a big adjustment? If my back tucks are consistent would it hard? I know after the first one chances are they will get better and better, but how bad is the first one? (if you know what I mean)

Just be prepared to take most of the shock through your wrists and shoulders...make sure not to get too "mushy." I don't feel like they're really that different. :) Good luck!

I have cheerleading tryouts in a couple of weeks. I recently got a consistently high round off back handspring back tuck on the competition(spring) floor. The problem is for cheerleading I need it on grass. How much harder are tucks on grass? My tucks on spring floor are about 6ft high . . . is that enough for grass?

They are not harder...they are different. Be sure to have a coach spot you if you are going to do this. I do not recommend tumbling on grass.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back