Handstands on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has any good drills for helping gymnasts learn handstands on the balance beam. My six year old was just accepted into a level 3 program which requires handstands on the beam. She can do floor handstands quite well but just can't seem to get it on the beam. Is it just a matter of repitition and practice, or are there any tips or drills that she can practice at home (we have a low beam at home). Thanks for any suggestions!

It's mostly just practice. I remember when I got invited to the level 4 team... I was 11 and the handstand on beam was so scary! The level 3 handstand doesn't have to be all the way to vertical so practicing just a tiny handstand tapping her feet together and then coming down quickly will help her confidence. Also make sure her hands are in the right position - hands right next to each other with thumbs on top of the beam and the rest of the fingers grabbing the sides. Handstands are more difficult on the beam than on the floor because your hands are closer together and it throws your balance off. She'll get it!

Also, don't push her too much at home. Not that you are, you just need to be careful.

As far as the handstand goes, if it is USAG level 3, the handstand doesn't need to be all the way vertical. In fact, it doesn't until level 5. :)

One drill that she could do at home is take the beam and put it so that the end is against a wall. Then get her to do handstand on the beam up to the wall. You can stand there and help her if she wants you too. (make sure she doesn't hit the wall to hard or fall sideways) This way she shouldn't be scared of falling over. You can also do this at a gym with a mat against the wall, if there is an easy to move beam. Just by doing them she will slowly go higher and higher.

if u have a crash mat or something soft enough (old matress, but be careful) put it at the end of the low beam then get her to kick of to handstand with her hands almost at the end of the beam and then fall to her back. it should help her know about how hard you need to kick up then soon enough she should be kicking up the right amount then stopping in handstand and either stepping back down or continue falling.

Good luck

English/Cross HS placement is a bit tricky but the biggest problem of this HS on beam is the fear factor.

So, besides doing a million of them, it's a good idea to also teach a forward roll out of one. Lay down a sting mat and it will be much appreciated or one of those beam mats. One of those "fat" beam attachements is helpful at lower levels for a lot of skills like HS, side HS, and CW.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back