Help with Handspring vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BeamPrincess

Coach
Judge
[video=youtube;_hWRW6zykyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hWRW6zykyM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

I am having trouble fixing this vault - I can do all the drills and running training etc... but I need some fresh ideas. Please help - need to improve within 4 weeks!!!

I am not a coach nor gymnast either, but I definitely agree w/lavinmeg! Try to "pop" from your shoulders as you hit that vault! Also, your bent elbows are absorbing some of the energy that could be used to get that better block!

I am not a coach but a gymnast like lavinmeg,

Try to pop more from your hands do lots and lots of handstand pops just to work on blocking from your shoulders heaps!

Also not a coach, but a gymnast.

To me it looks like you are having enough heel drive to get into handstand on the table. However, you just aren't hollow in your handstand. Also, instead of "popping" off your hands your kind of... squishing off. Your letting your shoulders sag and kind of arching over.

It's not a bad vault, but make sure your hollow when your hands contact the table. You don't need to stick your head in, but look at your hands a bit less. To pop more, run really really REALLY fast towards the table. I can't emphasize that enough. If you try to pop with no speed, you don't go anywhere.
So, run fast, drive your heels with a more hollow body, and finally pop as hard as you can. Most people in compulsories do this by bending their arms and then shoving away. Don't do this. Block with your shoulders, keeping your arms locked out. For me, I just block as soon as I feel the vault contact the table. I shove it down and a little bit behind me, then float the rest of the way.

Good luck with your vault, you seem well on your way already :)

You definitely need to hollow out. Also, once you pop (with your shoulders) off the vault, look for your feet. This should help you straighten out.

I am not a coach but a gymnast like lavinmeg,

Try to pop more from your hands do lots and lots of handstand pops just to work on blocking from your shoulders heaps!

Just re-watched your video and saw a few more things well one, when you do a handspring vault or any vault for that matter when your feet hit the board your hands should be on their way up (i.e. completing the arm circle) so that you can use the power from your arm circle, notice how your arms are already by your ears when you hit the board (this is just what my coach tells me to do and i noticed you do it too) combine this with more block and you will have a nice vault

The biggest problem I see is a shoulder angle upon making contact with the table.
When you take off from the springboard, you want your arms to swing up to your ears as fast as possible. Think about jumping 'UP' off the springboard, rather than thinking about getting your hands onto the table - At about 4 seconds into your video, you have just left the springboard and already seem to be thinking about placing your hands down - you should really still be traveling upwards at this stage.
In order to help you to 'pop' off the top, contact the table with your shoulders shrugged, then quickly push tall through your entire body - this should happen as soon as contact is made with the table, meaning that your body needs to be very slightly short of vertical when you hit.
Currently you are not driving your heels up fast enough and are therefore not at the correct angle to 'pop' off the table. This means you are waiting until your body has gone past vertical and are sort of 'falling' off the table rather than flying off.

I'd say work on the following:

Board Jump - work on taking a longer jump onto the springboard, thinking about contacting with your feet in front of your body - you do this well in the vid above, but your arms are already up - in terms of physics, it would be better for your arms to be down, then swing them up as you leave the board. You are also jumping to the middle of the springboard - try to hit a little further up.

Handspring flatback - work on a low setting and really focus on the flight off - perhaps do a few where you do a handstand jump as soon as you make contact with the platform - this can also be done jumping up to another mat.

Handspring over a lower setting, again focusing on the flight off.

Hope some of this helps - I'll try to find some videos of the progressions I mentioned.

Good luck!

I look at things a bit differently on vault than most folks and here is what I see.
1. You seem to be slowing down your run. This is making the hurdle too short. You need a low fast hurdle.
2. your arms should be down when you hit the board not up.
3. don't think about blocking. Just circle your arms from low on the board to your ears while pushing the entire time.
when you hit the table, you will bounce. The block is something that happens when you do it all right
4. I'm not sure if it's a comfort level thing or not but your table seems to be a bit low. This will make you come in too high and not bounce.
5. I don't mind a tight arch in a good front handspring front tuck vault but your arch doesn't look tight. Squeeze your stomach :).

to me a front handspring is run, hurdle with an arm circle, squeeze, land on your feet. again the block is just a byproduct of doing it right.
Here's one of my former gymnasts.
YouTube - Front handspring Vault

I look at things a bit differently on vault than most folks and here is what I see.
1. You seem to be slowing down your run. This is making the hurdle too short. You need a low fast hurdle.
2. your arms should be down when you hit the board not up.
3. don't think about blocking. Just circle your arms from low on the board to your ears while pushing the entire time.
when you hit the table, you will bounce. The block is something that happens when you do it all right
4. I'm not sure if it's a comfort level thing or not but your table seems to be a bit low. This will make you come in too high and not bounce.
5. I don't mind a tight arch in a good front handspring front tuck vault but your arch doesn't look tight. Squeeze your stomach :).

to me a front handspring is run, hurdle with an arm circle, squeeze, land on your feet. again the block is just a byproduct of doing it right.
Here's one of my former gymnasts.
YouTube - Front handspring Vault

Agreed with all of this, but especially #1. The biggest thing jumping out at me is how slow you're coming in at the end of the run. I think at that speed, even if you do everything else correctly, you'll have a hard time getting a clean handspring vault.

If you come in too slow, you really don't have a choice but to break the shoulder angle -- which causes you not to get any block, which causes you to remain in contact with the table too long, which causes you to arch and break from as you come down. If you can get a better run and a lower, faster hurdle, there's a good chance that the rest of the vault will fix itself.

[video=youtube;_hWRW6zykyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hWRW6zykyM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

I am having trouble fixing this vault - I can do all the drills and running training etc... but I need some fresh ideas. Please help - need to improve within 4 weeks!!!

can't see a video.

The pre-flight (Before you touched the table) looked REALLY good! It was hollow, and barely piked, practically perfect.... BUT right as your hands where about to touch you stuck your head out! This caused you to arch! So try doing this..

1. Keep the run, punch, and pre-flight the same! (Looks great)
2. As you are about to touch the table, glue your arms to your ears, and watch those hands!!
3. Once your hands touch, make sure your arms are STRAIGHT! They were to bent for you to block.
4. Try get that stopped in handstand (you MUST squeeze to do this!) and then push off your hands!
5. As you are coming off...Stay stretched out! Watch your toes, and stick it!

Unfortunately the video dosen't show your run, or hurdle. I can assure you that you need a faster run and bigger hurdle. When you hit the spring board you are way too loose, then your head is out which creates a shoulder angle that will make it hard to "pop" off your hands. You need to hide your ears in your handstand looking for your thumbs with mostly just your eyes, and stay as tall in your shoulders as you can. I always tell my gymnasts, if you run fast and hurdle big then all you have to do is be tight and tall and keep your chin neutral. GOOD LUCK.

Oh my. I coach level 5 and all 13 of my girls look just like you right now. I agree with just about everyone else...

your slowing down
work the arm circle
you need to block
and hollow.

work sprinting drills, board hits, block drills, and handstand flat backs. It also looks like the table might be alittle low.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back