WAG High bar vs. Low bar fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
Is it legitimate to be able to do a skill nicely on the low bar, but be afraid of it to the point where you cannot do it on the high bar? How can you work through such a fear? I assume it is a bit of a numbers game, because it is a new skill.

Any experience or thoughts?!?!

Time is ticking dangerously close to "d-day" and that doesn't help the fear either.

What skill is it? From what I have seen at dds gym, it is very common. Things that have helped did are a lot of spotting, increased mats underneath, use of the pit bar with mats underneath. And lots of reps, as you mention. Good luck.

i think it's obvious. the low bar is 62" from the floor and the high 96". it takes awhile for some kids. plain and simple.:)

very normal and very healthy, it is a lot scarier to do those skills far higher off the ground. It is a numbers game, do lots on the low bar until they are comfortable, do similar but easier drills and skills on high bar to help with the comfort level, stack up mats under the high bar to make it the same height as the low bar and take the mats away slowly until they are comfortable, lots of spotting and it will happen.

My DD also has high bar fears. It is with her giants. Competed them last spring but fell on her coaches foot during practice (however did NOT get hurt) but she has not done them on high bar since.

It is most definintely a numbers game.
She is doing lots and lots of repititions so she can get comfortable again.

Fears are a strange beast. Right now she can do them all day long when they raise the low bar up but will not do them anymore on the high bar. She is currently working them on a high bar that is being lowered to the same height as the low bar when they raise it up. They are even taking the low bar off completely so she does not have to worry about hitting her feet. Even though the bars are at the same height she still balks sometimes doing them for some reason. Hopefully soon she will be raising the high bar little by little until it is the height it should be. Then they will add a velcro strap to mimic the low bar and hopefully by the time she graduates high school (7th grader right now) she will be able to do giants on the "real" high bar.:D

It scares ME watching my little one on the high bar just doing pullovers and BHC's, even with a coach standing right there. She thinks it's hysterical, and says "I can see the whole gym from up here!" But she was scared to even try her mill circle in the beginning (on a low bar), so it just depends. It definitely looks scarier up there from the ground!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back