How come usag frowns on straddle cast handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
I was reading on the usa gymnastics web site that for the elite compulsary routines that there is a .5 deduction for straddling up on cast handstands and also for straddling up on front giants. Why don't they want to see this. I have seen elites like Bridget Sloan do this. And of course this is very common at the JO levels.

This is really nothing but a guess, but I think it might have to do with straight body casts being more accepted on the international level. So while straddle casts are totally fine for girls on the JO path, I'm guessing USAG is trying to emphasize straight body casts for younger girls on the elite track for more long term purposes.

yes coach molly that about sums it up. but it will never fly internationally. those with the highest start value will win even WITH a straddle cast or 2.

From a merely aesthetic approach, I actually prefer the straddle up, if it's what I think it is. It looks pretty and like the gymnast is in total control. I mean I realize that even with the straight cast up, the gymnast is probably under control, but I don't know....I just like how the straddle up looks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back