How do you become a certified coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

If someone is only able to take gymnastics when they are older. (Like me because there's no gym where I live, only where I went to college) Is it possible for them to become a coach? (even if it's just little kids)

If it is possible, what do they do to accomplish that? How many years of lessons and how many levels do they have to accomplish and how much coach training is needed? Also how do they become certified.

By the way I live in Canada.

Im only 14 but i assist at my gym, when you become 16 you can become a certified coach by taking a level 1 course. Its a few days and goes through coaching techniques and the levels (where i live they go through a cangym program) which is colours. It also depends on where you live in Canada. Go to the local gym or where ever you would be coaching and talk to the manager about it, they will have suggestions.

Where abouts are you in Canada then i might be able to give you more assistance

I live in Ontario

Right now it's just an idea for when I finish my college course and permanently move to a town with a gym. I wanted to know because I'd love to work with little kids and thought this might be fun.

it is great fun! i have a great time when i go in one saturday mornings i almost forget that its morning. Just make sure you are ready to deal with some kids who may have behavior or focussing problems and make sure to find out how the gym deals with them.

Go to www.ogf.com

Then on the left side there is an option called "Coaching"

Click it then choose "View a list of NCCP Courses"

You start off as a level 1 coach in which you need a technical course and theoretical cert as well. All info is there.

How many levels do you need to accomplish as a gymnast first? Is there a list of prerequisites and a course description available somewhere because I can't see one. If not does anyone know approximately what it's like?

it is great fun! i have a great time when i go in one saturday mornings i almost forget that its morning. Just make sure you are ready to deal with some kids who may have behavior or focussing problems and make sure to find out how the gym deals with them.

Working with those type of children isn't a problem. I'm planning on working in a classroom (like a teacher's assistant) so I'd be working with children with many different problems.

You don't need any gymnastics training to become certified.Obviously it helps, but if you become interested ingymnastics as an adult, then you can still coach as long as you get certified by NCCP

You could start as a CIT

Nope, no certain level required. Obvisouly higher level gymnast who go on to coaching know a bit more off the bat than a starting coach. However, with time, you learn.

A CIT is a Coach In Training. In Ontario, where I am from atleast, our club takes on 14, 15 yr olds , or starting coaches of any age to come and shadow coaches in order for them to someday become certified as a coach themselves.

I tried looking but haven't found any clear answers. In Canada, what skills are needed to pass a level and how do you get to the next level? Do you have to compete or pass an exam? Like I said before I only started gymnastics as an adult so I still have a lot to learn. If I decide to coach little kids one day I'd like to at least have been through the levels myself.

Loads of coaches never did any gymnastics,or just a little. Understanding it enough to teach it and being able to DO it are very different things. Some of the most frustrating coaches I worked with (as an athlete) were very skilled, talented athletes. But they couldnt teach for beans.

I know you don't need to be able to to do the skills but many gymnasts may need to learn by watching someone do it. I really want to be able to do the things I would teach. Besides, it seems like a lot of fun. :D

Yea i do the CIT program. Its great, you can start but it is usually younger people who are just starting out because here you cant become a certified coach until 16.

Yea i do the CIT program. Its great, you can start but it is usually younger people who are just starting out because here you cant become a certified coach until 16.

That program sounds like fun.

Could anyone tell me what skills are needed for each level and how you pass a level? I know I don't need to do the levels but I want to. I'd like to know what skills are needed to prepare myself and look up the skills and know what they are so that when I'm learning them it's easier to know what they are talking about. Once again, I know I don't have to, but I really want to know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back