How to not be nervous for gymnastics meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

Rising_Star_Gymnast

I have my first L4 (old L5) meet coming up, and I am so nervous. Any tips?

• Make sure you get there in plenty of time
  • Get everything you will need ready the night before
  • Speak to your coach/team mates who have done it before about how it all works on the day. The most intimidating thing I found at my first comp was that I didn't know what was going to happen, how I would know when I was competing, where I was meant to be at what time etc.
  • Don't put too much pressure on yourself. At my first comp I wasn't at all concerned about winning, I just wanted to actually do it and get through my routines. I was less nervous and then it was a great surprise that I won anyway. At subsequent comps when I was worried about scoring, I was so much more nervous!
  • Understand that placement (whether you come first, second, tenth or 100th) is not in your control. That is about what everyone else did IN COMPARISON to you, not about what you did. The only thing you can control is how hard you try

Good luck at your meet and enjoy it!

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind :) And it's even harder, because I moved up from new L2, and it's way different in L4. It helps that I already had my kip halfway through the L2 season :)

I don't know what I really do. There's no tricks. My first year competing I was always nervous. I was really shaky and I fell a lot. That was pretty humbling. Then this year (my second year) I was confident. Or at least I pretended to be. I always slipped into this persona, this really sassy gymnast. I was very intense. It really worked. I had a lot of fun doing it too. So I guess my advice is to be as confident as you can, and just pretend. If something goes wrong, if you mess up, keep going. Don't make a face, don't say anything (obviously lol!), just keep going. You sound like a great gymnast, so believe in yourself!

I eat pasta the night before. Idk, just something I like to do. The carbs maybe? Anyways, I turn off electronics by 10 so I get a good night sleep. Then in the morning I get ready, and I always prepare my bag the night before. At the meet find your team and make sure to have fun! Cheer on your teammates. When you compete, compete like you've never won. Be sassy and smile. Try your best. If you fall and you aren't hurt, get back up, take a deep breath, smile, keep going. Try not to let the fall shake you, the judges like to see a solid routine after a fall. Don't think about your place, just try your best. That's out of your control. Have fun and good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back