WAG How to teach how to jump

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have one gymnast who just can't get out of her feet. She got away with it ok in old level 4 but she's really struggling with a lot of new 4 skills. Straddle jumps, back handsprings, rebounds and especially vault (both sprint and punch) just look like they take sooo much effort. Any ideas?

Have her and her teammates work standing vertical jumps from an 8 inch safety mat or landing mat upward to a resi or stack of some sort. Since the resi will require a bit of a forward jump, and defeat some of the purpose, you could try having a spare bar (yeah right) set at a height that works for the shorties so they can jump from the safety mat to a hang on the bar. Raise the bar for the next group once they've had about 15 jumps. Repeat until all the kids have gotten their jumping done.

Just to be on the safe side set the first two sessions up as a teaching/learning experience because grabbing at their fingertips when first learning how to grab can cause problems through the entire length of their arms.

I think the biggest benefit is the way the mat's soft surface slows down the jump to give them a chance to figure out the twitch sequences, movements, and forces that make a good jump work. Strength??? Probably not so much.... but some helps.

Some exercises I've been doing with my little ones:

1) Lots of releve's
a) holding onto ballet barre or beam.
b) standing on edge of a bench - drop heels below bench then rise up as high as possible
2) Standing on a springboard, hold the gymnasts hands as they push through their feet to jump - emphasis on straight legs and really using the toes.
3) As above on floor
4) Lots of rebound jumps forwards and backwards along the tumble strip
5) Have the gymnast jump up and down whilst you hold your hand just above their head, and get them to try to jump as high as your hand
6) Teach the importance of using the arms to gain height by having them jump with and without using the arms.
7) Lots of jumping on the tramp.

Hope something helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back