Coaches Ideas for what to do during floor routine practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Hey there coaches!

I am hoping to gather some more ideas of what I can have my gymnasts do when a teammate is practicing a full out floor routine during practice. I will have a group of 5-10 at a time and try to watch and take notes of the gymnast performing their floor routine. During this time, my gymnasts are either "Stretching" (more talking than stretching LOL), completing a short list of mobility/ strengthening exercises, or resting. I'd love to hear ideas of what other coaches do that may be beneficial without having my full attention on the waiting gymnasts.

Thanks in advance!

We used to have gymnasts sit in splits along the edge of the floor - just outside the line. Then, when the gymnast doing the routine smiled at them, one arm would go up. The goal was for everyone to have at least one arm up by the end of the routine. Productive for everyone. Another variation of this is to have everyone stand around the edge and sit when they are smiled at. I've got other ideas but would need to know what space you have.

Yes! We play the sit down version but i love the splits version!

I have a whole floor (with the exception of when our higher levels are going, they need the whole space. Secondary to that, I have a pieces of floor carpeting next to the floor that i will set up simple dance drills in.

Yes! We play the sit down version but i love the splits version!

I have a whole floor (with the exception of when our higher levels are going, they need the whole space. Secondary to that, I have a pieces of floor carpeting next to the floor that i will set up simple dance drills in.
You can use a springboard for split leap drills and hurdle drills. You can do partner handstand holds. Any type of body weight conditioning works, sit-ups or push-ups for example. If you have sliders, turn drills work great. How old are the girls? Releve walks are great and if you have lines on your floor for them to stay on - even better! Stations work really well, have 1-2 girls per station and rotate, with one of the stations being doing your routine.

We have several side stations including arm thru routines (gymnasts do just the arm movements from their routine); mini-dance thru where they walk thru the dance of their routines in a small space focusing on details; leap stations; turn stations; sometimes tramp drills if one of the tramps is open; ankle or wrist exercises. Also immediately following a routine we generally do a set of conditioning exercises like pushups, v-ups, jump up onto a block a set # of times; and a set of back tucks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back