WAG inexperienced coaches and reaching goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Q

qymmom???

I was a little inspired by the unqualified coaches thread to ask the following questions.

How important is it to be trained by someone with experience at the lower levels?

Will the experience level of the coach impact on how quickly a gymnast advances through the levels?

Can a gymnast reach her full potential while being trained by a young and inexperienced coach?

Uh, I think everyone has a different perspective on this one. Out of my experience as a coach (which is not too long) the development of a gymnast depends on many factors of which the coaches experience is an important but not the only one.

An experienced coach is a lot safer on spotting techniques even if the skill goes wrong. As we all know spotting is an important part of skill progressions so of course it has influence on how fast the gymnast progresses and wether he/she reaches her/his full potential. It is also essential to have spotting experience at lower levels. You can't just go off spotting double backs just because you did them as a gymnast.

There are not 2 gymnasts on this earth whos progressions, strengths and weaknesses are exactly the same. The longer a coach has been on the stage, the more gymmies have gone through his hands. He/She has ssen a ton of different learning types and struggelings on the way and is able to react quicker on new situations, than a young coach. Also they get a feeling for the pattern of how a certain age group lives, feels and learns.

Still, a young and unexperienced coach isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they've been gymnasts themselves they're often closer to the feeling, they bring in a lot of new ideas, motivation and enthusiasm. Those things have a very positive influence on the gymnasts development.
I -as a rather unexperienced coach- would however refuse to coach without the presence of an "oldie"
And let's not forget there are all those other factors such as the gymnasts work ethic, the gyms equipment, the time spent in the gym, the gymnasts ability to evaluate him/herself, his/her family situation, the situation in school...you know what I mean.

I was a little inspired by the unqualified coaches thread to ask the following questions.

How important is it to be trained by someone with experience at the lower levels?

Will the experience level of the coach impact on how quickly a gymnast advances through the levels?

Can a gymnast reach her full potential while being trained by a young and inexperienced coach?

I never like to speak in absolutes, so I won't say that full potential can never be reached (answering your last question first). Part of the answer may stem from how long and when they have inexperienced coaches. Does it matter for a preschool class? Probably not too much if they have basic experience with dance or gymnastics. Basic forms start early in the team process though and bad habits can be hard to break. Oversight by an experienced coach may help, but we went through old L6 with a completely inexperienced coach it was an epic disaster (the result of ill-timed events at the gym).

I don't think experienced coaches also means that a gymnast will advance through the levels quickly. As much as a good coach can do, the gymnast must respond to the coaching and some gymnasts are just not mature enough (or have the drive) to advance quickly. Plus, many gyms have advancement policies that are once a year except for exceptional circumstances. Experience coaches doesn't necessarily change that policy. Or inexperienced coaches may advance everyone when they really aren't ready, but don't want to hurt feelings.

I believe it comes down to passion and how much the coach wants to be great. If he puts the kids over him/her self and wants only the best for the kids they will believe in themselves and work hard and be great. If a young coach was mentored by a great coach and they are willing to learn and but all pride aside the sky is the limit!!!!!

It is important that the program is led up by an experienced head coach.

Yes.

Depends on how fast the coach learns and the resources that coach has to tap into.

One of DD's coaches is a very young guy (21 or 22) I was actually a little disappointed when I found out he would have some of the coaching responsibilities for DD's group. Turns out, he is totally awesome. I mean REALLY good. He breaks the skills down in a way that the girls really respond too. The drills he uses are awesome, and he is a total natural when it comes to spotting. He seems like he was born to coach.....

DD is at a good gym with a good reputation and good track record. HC has been mentioned here on CB as "great". So I should have trusted that they would not just throw some clueless kid out to a group of girls about to start training giants.

I was offered a team level position with nothing more than 3 years experience in what resembled a park and rec program. Nine months later I was given the h/c job. Some kids left the program to work with more experienced coaches at two different clubs. The kids that stayed ended up learning faster than the kids that left.

So yeah, it can work, but an inexperienced coach has to have at least an informal mentor and enough desire to do what it takes to provide for the children. So you could say my position is that an inexperienced person with the right background skills and abilities can do as well, or better, than an experienced coach.

I know some very experienced coaches who have been around for decades who don't put out good kids. I have seen new coaches do wonders... There are no absolutes...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back