Jumps on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast_bre

So...jumps on beam. Wolf jumps, tuck jumps, split jumps, straddle jumps. It sounds sort of pathetic but on the high beam, I prepare to do a jump (especially tuck jumps) and I just end up doing a straight jump out of fear. Other times, I spread my feet apart a little (or tuck them a little, for tucks and wolfs) but not enough to be considered a "real" jump. I can do it on the floor beams, but not the high beams. My recital's in 3 weeks (January 28th) and I know for sure that at least tuck jumps will be in the beam routine. Any ideas? Thanks. 8) Check out some of my other threads!

Since you can do it on the floor beam, you can try putting mats under the high beam so it feels more like a low beam. Then slowly take mats away until you don't need them anymore. You could also try putting a pad or thin mat over the beam. In the end you'll just have to make up your mind to do it! If you can do a stretch jump that's pretty high, you can do a tuck jump or a split jump.

@Mack_the_Ripper I know...I've heard that a lot, but with my high beam at home I don't have mats to put under it to practice. :/ And at my gym I'm not doing private practice so I just have to go with doing it on the high beam. Any other ideas? Thanks anyway though =)

It looks like you know what you've gotta do...just gotta make up your mind to do it. You need to decide that you want it more than you're scared of it. Your body knows what to do, you just have to convince your brain to shut up. I wouldn't practice it at home if I were you - not very safe. Even though you're not taking private lessons, you could still put a sting mat over the beam pretty quickly and easily at the gym, and just take it off after your turn to let the next person go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back