MAG Kip Bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I just bought a used kip bar off of craig's list that I gave my kids ( level 5 boy and level 2 girl) but it is pretty riticky...does anyone have any thoughts on how to stabilize it?

Put it back on craig's list - The kip should be learned in the gym with the right equipment and safety mats and taught by a qualified coach. Not only is the one you have an accident waiting to happen, but they will learn bad habits that will have to be un-learned when the time comes.

Frankly, there is no way to make this safe to use. The only good use for this piece of equipment is to dry sweaters on. Without a gym and mats surrounding it, it is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. Get rid of it now. Practicing the kinds of skills you think need practice should only be done at the gym under the watchful eys of a coach; never at home.

Easiest / cheapest is four sand bags, if you're just talking about the base not having the kip stabilizers ... but rickety isn't the word I'd use. Tippy. Is it rickety or tippy?

just for info, did a quick calc (and its late and Christmas so my maths may not be 100% accurate) but I calculated my 63lb daughter will exert a centripetal force of 305lb(ish) when she rotates around the bar - I have assumed continual rotational force for ease of maths. And she is diddy. Hence the need to anchor bars in concrete !

Science nerd going to eat more clotted cream now, mmmmmmmmmmm

We have a Kip Bar, and it's pretty much useless. My younger, non-team child can use it to practice pull-up pull-over and light swinging (very light), but that's about it. If I stand there and hold the bar, with my feet on the legs, it might be ok for my youngest team kid to attempt kips, but it has not helped him in the slightest. Not a smart purchase for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back