WAG L7 scoring question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancedmom

Proud Parent
Is it possible--meaning have you actually seen--a L7 score well without giants on bars.

what about without a BHS on beam-- a dive cartwheel?

I know folks will say she shouldn't compete L7, but these are not long term solutions-- post-injury, coaches want her to do meets just to get back out there, but slowly ease back in....just want to set expectations for her....

thanks

Is it possible--meaning have you actually seen--a L7 score well without giants on bars.

what about without a BHS on beam-- a dive cartwheel?

I know folks will say she shouldn't compete L7, but these are not long term solutions-- post-injury, coaches want her to do meets just to get back out there, but slowly ease back in....just want to set expectations for her....

thanks

You can compete 2 free-hips for level 7 bars and meet all requirements. Scores are going to vary based on how high those free-hips are.

Level 7 beam flight options: Dive cartwheel, Round-off, front handspring.

You can compete 2 free-hips for level 7 bars and meet all requirements. Scores are going to vary based on how high those free-hips are.

Level 7 beam flight options: Dive cartwheel, Round-off, front handspring.
thanks chalkbowl-- I know she can technically meet the requirements but can she score well if she does the routines well without what are considered the 'real' L7 skills? She wouldn't be in L7 if she couldn't do the giants/BHS on beam, but after injury has been set back. Wants to compete and the coaches have given her modified routines. I am just wondering whether she can really score well. thanks!

thanks chalkbowl-- I know she can technically meet the requirements but can she score well if she does the routines well without what are considered the 'real' L7 skills? She wouldn't be in L7 if she couldn't do the giants/BHS on beam, but after injury has been set back. Wants to compete and the coaches have given her modified routines. I am just wondering whether she can really score well. thanks!

If she can do two free-hips to handstand, she will score just as high as the kids doing giants. If her free-hips are below horizontal and she has issues casting, her scores are going to be low. Kids with giants typically score higher because they aren't getting dinged a 2nd time for the angle they achieve on their free-hip.

Can she cast to handstand? How high can she free-hip?

If she can do two free-hips to handstand, she will score just as high as the kids doing giants. If her free-hips are below horizontal and she has issues casting, her scores are going to be low. Kids with giants typically score higher because they aren't getting dinged a 2nd time for the angle they achieve on their free-hip.

Can she cast to handstand? How high can she free-hip?
I actually don't know-- I think she can get close to the cast handstand-- I have no idea on the clear hips. I have really not seen the routine. She said her and her coach worked it out and she 'has' her routine. Thanks for the info. helpful

Scoring 9+ without giants is very possible - although cast handstands have to be completely there and big freehips (not to handstand, but at least 60 degrees)...DD did it MANY times - but I do think its hard to get 9.5+ without giants on bars - due to the increased chances of deductions....in our area scoring that high on bars at L7 only happens with less than 1% of kids anyway...

Beam scores can be just as high with "easy" routines as harder - series vary at L7 from BWOBWO to BHSBHS and the easy series can beat the hard one - only from L8 up does difficulty come into play...clean and well performed with high toes, etc....

If its about an injury than just let her have fun with whatever her coaches decide - L7 is not the time to worry....

Usually no, because the other skills are not up to par, but it is possible yes.

yes, I have seen bars score very high (above 9.5 repeatedly) with no giants. Two cast to HS and two clear hip to HS though.

I think it could be done, but seriously - why not let her do the routine as she and her coach have arranged it and not worry about the score right now? If she is coming off of injury and still compensating - worrying about the score seems almost silly. Let her get her skills and strength back and then look at where the scores are.

I think it could be done, but seriously - why not let her do the routine as she and her coach have arranged it and not worry about the score right now? If she is coming off of injury and still compensating - worrying about the score seems almost silly. Let her get her skills and strength back and then look at where the scores are.
Hi. I am not worried about scores. As I said in my question I want to make sure her expectations match reality. Thanks.

On beam, yes it's possible. Our top beam worker (usually 1st on beam at every meets) once did a meet w/o BHS or any acro and instead did 3 cartwheels and scored low-mid 8's. On bars, I haven't seen high scores w/o giant around here but when there's no giant, there are other form issues so it's never a clean routine.

My DD (L7) is doing low bar kip-cast, 2 free hips, jump to high bar, cast, layout flyaway.

Scores: Low 8s first 2 meets, high 8s this last meet. She has one cast to handstand on low bar (a special requirement for the L7 bar routine - you somewhere need that or the start value is 9.5), her cast on high bar before her dismount is to horizontal or a tad above - she needs to get that to handstand for sure. Her free hips are not great. BUT.....her form is spot on with everything else, as has been explained to me, that she can be in the 8s instead of the 7s. She could be to a 9 apparently IF she casts to handstand on highbar, and if she improves her free hips from where they are. We shall see.

Good luck to your DD - it is nice there are work-arounds to particular situations. Each gymnast's situation is unique and I love it when they are treated that way. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back