WAG L8 Tumbling Pass

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gympops

Proud Parent
Hello....my daughter is 11 and a L8....she had an injury last year and at the time she had learned a tumbling pass that had a full in it.....however after her injury she was afraid to do it.

This year she learned again and it was beautiful. A new coach came on board at her gym and said she had to fix something in it and now it looks awkward again. She went to her first meet and is getting a deduction on it.

The coach said that she needs to fix that and they will work on it....in the meantime though she wants her to do a round-off back handspring 1/2 with a punch front.

She is tiny and the coach said the problem with her full is common in younger children.

Will this other tumbling pass be sufficient in competitions from a scoring perspective? It's disheartening to see she has had problems with the full because she had it well.....now it seems as if she is going backwards a little?

My DD is competing level 8 with zero twisting in her routine. She tells me it's not required. It seems like twisting is such an "easy" thing for most girls to get, yet my DD struggles to even do a 1/2. A judge might decide to take off for not being up to level (I think that's .2 or .3 deduction) but otherwise it shouldn't hurt her score as long as she has the right # of A's and B's.

If she has Bs in her tumbling (front layout or front pike) she might not even get an up to level deduction, at least in smaller meets (not something like regionals). I know a lot of level 8s that get most of their difficulty in front tumbling and/or dance and don't compete a twist. I think it's better to do a clean routine than one that is going to cause form or landing deductions, especially if the gymnast is uncomfortable with the twist, because that can hinder confidence levels as she attempts to learn harder passes. In other words, don't rush it and focus on the requirements as opposed to things that 'the other kids' seem to be able to do easily :)

Ok sounds good.....she does a second pass that is a front layout front tuck or pike. You're right thought....it seems I'm more concerned about her doing what other kids are doing.....It's almost like in my head I feel like she may be falling behind!

Hello....my daughter is 11 and a L8....she had an injury last year and at the time she had learned a tumbling pass that had a full in it.....however after her injury she was afraid to do it.

This year she learned again and it was beautiful. A new coach came on board at her gym and said she had to fix something in it and now it looks awkward again. She went to her first meet and is getting a deduction on it.

The coach said that she needs to fix that and they will work on it....in the meantime though she wants her to do a round-off back handspring 1/2 with a punch front.

She is tiny and the coach said the problem with her full is common in younger children.

Will this other tumbling pass be sufficient in competitions from a scoring perspective? It's disheartening to see she has had problems with the full because she had it well.....now it seems as if she is going backwards a little?

perfectly normal. when kids first learn a skill, those skills are Olympic looking. when inexplicably, they change. things go bad for awhile, then they get back on track and then they permanently learn what they are doing and progress from there. this is part of the learning process. so be patient.

lay 1/2 to punch front is a good choice by the coach. it will help her score and will cause her to twist later. sounds like her coach knows what they are doing. :)

perfectly normal. when kids first learn a skill, those skills are Olympic looking. when inexplicably, they change. things go bad for awhile, then they get back on track and then they permanently learn what they are doing and progress from there. this is part of the learning process. so be patient.

Thank you for this statement! I thought it was just my kid. Sometimes she can get skills pretty easily (i.e. she got her full onto the floor in about a month) and they look good at first, but then they stop looking so good. I was stressed that she didn't have her full in her level 8 routine, but the coaches wanted to focus on perfecting her double salto pass and not worry about the full right now. I totally get that and I appreciate their ability to prioritize the important things. She does have B front tumbling and she is now landing her double salto pass (this one didn't come so easily LOL), so maybe the full will make its way into her routine later this season.

Thank you too to dunno. The fulls are the bane of my daughter's existence and mine as a result. She lost it in beginning of L8 (was twisting when she shouldn't and getting lost when she tried to twist). Got it back by end of season. She had it solid first year training L9 (competed minimally in 1st yr L9 because of gym switch). Now starting her second year in L9, started again having trouble two weeks before her first meet. She has trouble doing fulls, no trouble doing full and a half, but has trouble doing double fulls. She has never been fearful of doing those skills and/or she is able to talk herself into overcoming fears. She has a solid double back on floor, she does blind fulls to double back on bars. Those darn fulls are just not sticking or at least they are quite ify. Are there girls that may never be able to do fulls?

Thank you too to dunno. The fulls are the bane of my daughter's existence and mine as a result. She lost it in beginning of L8 (was twisting when she shouldn't and getting lost when she tried to twist). Got it back by end of season. She had it solid first year training L9 (competed minimally in 1st yr L9 because of gym switch). Now starting her second year in L9, started again having trouble two weeks before her first meet. She has trouble doing fulls, no trouble doing full and a half, but has trouble doing double fulls. She has never been fearful of doing those skills and/or she is able to talk herself into overcoming fears. She has a solid double back on floor, she does blind fulls to double back on bars. Those darn fulls are just not sticking or at least they are quite ify. Are there girls that may never be able to do fulls?

actually, yes! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back