Level 2, Age 9 floor routine question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Colie's Mom

My daughter is 9 years old. She was in recreational since she was 4, until this past October. She started Level 2 competitive in October 2009. I am questioning her floor routine. She is competing next weekend...Her floor routine does not include any walkovers. The tumbling lines only include cartwheels, roundoffs and sommersalts. Her routine also does not include any splits. Am I wrong thinking that this is not adequate?

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

In my opinion, the USAG routines are pretty basic and simple. They are geared toward younger children, especially levels 1-4. Most gyms do not compete level 2, at least in my area, so I am a little surprised your daughter is at 9 years old. Her time would probably be better spent at least in a pre team class. Or training level 4 skills and not memorizing routines.

If your daughter has such skills as a back walkover, nice roundoff, good splits, pullover, backhip circle.. maybe you should check out the requirements for your gyms next level.

My DD has not competed L2 but from what I recall seeing at a couple of meets that sounds right.

L3 has a roundoff and a bridge ( push upbfrom floor) kickover. Split is not until L4 floor routine.

L2 routine is fairlly basic. 'tumbling' doesn't really begin until L4.

Hope this is helpful & welcome to CB

If you want to see what the routines look like from USAG, you can look them up on youtube. You can view the bar, beam, vault and floor routines that are standard from level 1-6. Levels 7-10 are optional routines so they are all geared toward each gymnast's strengths. I do wonder why they would have your daughter competing level 2 at 9 years old. I think that her time could be better spent working on learning the skills for level 5 or at least level 4. You found a good place to get your questions answered so welcome to the chalk bucket.

My 5 y.o. has been in level 2 for 11 months...;)so I know it well. This is the USAG level 2 floor:

Straddle stand, forward roll, headstand hold, pike down to kneel, stand up, step kick cartwheel 1/4 turn, backward roll, handstand, leg balance, split jump, chasse, turn, finish! (had to ask my 5 y.o for some of the details!)

Our gym also puts all girls in levels 1-3 regardless of their age. They compete these levels in-house until level 4 when they then go "out" of the gym to meets. My older DD was in level 2 at age 7...and we have some 9-10 year olds in level 2 this year also.

Hope this helps!

Level 2

Yes, that is the level 2 routine. It is rather boring and the music is awful. It is prepping them for level 3. My six year old is doing level 2 this year. Our gym works them through the levels as well. It is a time to learn to compete and learn some foundations. :)

Its only level 2. Most level 2 kids are not yet able to do walkovers, tumbles and splits. These skills take time to learn and perfect. Yes, some kids can do them but its not really a good idea to put them into routines as so many kids can't. It would mean a lot more years practice for most kids to get to level 2.

Level 2 is a beginner level and your child should be developing basic skills on each apparatus. On floor they should be focusing on the 5 basic tumbling skills - forward rolls, backward rolls, handstands, cartwheels and bridges. Its better to perfect these basic skills now and then harder skills will come easier later.

If your daughter can already do harder skills they are probably preparing her for higher levels. This is good. Kids should be competing the skills they can do perfectly while perfecting and learning other harder skills for competitions later on.

I would agree with gymcoach about questioning why a 9yo would be doing L2 routines. They are extremely basic and are geared toward kids who are 5-7 yo. If your dd has been doing some gymnastics for 5 yrs, she should have enough skills to be training for a higher level. At 9, girls have much more focus and coordination than the younger ones and would be ready to learn a longer routine.

Does your dd want to pursue the USAG track or just do a lower stress gym program? Some states have rec leagues that offer competition, but the girls don't have to put in as much time as the girls in USAG. Might be worth asking around about other programs in your area.

Oh, I wanted to add that my 6 year old is working on level 3 skills-she learned the floor routine on Friday and has been working on the level 3 bars for a few weeks now-has all those skills but the mill circle. She won't compete it until next year. LOL, but is enjoying the training. I think her next step is learning handstands on the beam. She competes level 2 next weekend.

My thoughts are she must have started level 2 because on one of the 4 events they were not comfortable competing her level 3 or 4. You know they have to compete all 4 events at the same level? Is she playing catch up on bars? It often looks like the rec kids have little time on the bars, not enough to get the strength required for the skills.

The other thing might be that they want her to try competition with something easy and then compete skills that are more challenging for her next year.

If what she really likes is tumbling, why don't you check out the Tramp and Tumbling routines. Those you don't have to compete all at the same level; in fact you don't have to compete all four events of TnT.

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify that my daughter is in competitive gymnastics in Ontario Canada. So, I guess it could be different

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify that my daughter is in competitive gymnastics in Ontario Canada. So, I guess it could be different

Ah then it is different. The Ontario system is similar to the USAG one in that it has 10 levels. They also have similar skills but in Ontario the girls have their own optioanl routines, in the US the girls all do exactly the same routine to the same peice of music.

THough L2 is a beginner development level in both places and in Ontario they compete regionally not provincially.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back