WAG Level 5 back handspring pass

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My round off two back handsprings always seems to be better out of a power hurdle than from a run. Are you allowed to compete the routine with a power hurdle? Will they take any deductions?

I am not a judge or coach but I can say that my daughter always uses a power hurdle and NEVER got deducted for that. She was the L5 State floor champ so I don't think that if there is a deduction it was much.

It would be best for you to work on getting used to both types of entries into the round off. You're problems with the run probably comes from the increased speed and not knowing what to do with it. My guess is that you're not leaning forward during your hurdle from a run, and are kinda pulling your shoulders back as you push into the hurdle which makes your hurdle go up instead of forward.

Try working up to the run two steps at a time. Do a two step run at the start of your next tumbling session, and to give your brain a head start, finish that session with 2 tumbling runs from a four step run. Add two more steps on the 2nd tumbling session, and you should be good to go.

I just want to add that some people like to start their runs by stepping forward onto the same foot they hurdle from. Those people need to start with a one step and work the same method. Most tumbling runs start with steps in the range of three to five steps, but a smaller gymnast may want to add a step or two beyond that to cover the distance needed to place themselves where they want to be in a floor routine.

Interesting, iwannacoach...my DD's coach has always told them no more than 3 steps or the can get deducted for it. ?

yes, KateR, ^^^ that is true. and there is no deduction for using a power hurdle. and for some kids, again because of vestibular issues, taking to many steps adds additional speed to speed that they already have and can't control. it will come in time. additionally, and for educational reasons, sometimes the kids are so fast (emanates from muscle twitch) that the additional speed can actually make their gross motor skills uncoordinated. they start leaning over and tripping and such. just good to know.:)

Interesting, iwannacoach...my DD's coach has always told them no more than 3 steps or the can get deducted for it. ?

Sorry for failing to preface my post with the disclaimer that I'm not current with respect to the compolsory program. My comments were intended to address tumbling in general, and to help with the transition from a power hurdle to a running entry.....whoops!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back