Level 5 bar deduction questions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks gymcoach34, I live and learn everyday here. I would skip bars for sure.

Does the gym have prep op, or similar? I know some of those programmes are great for girls who are a bit uneven in their skills. USAG wise that is.

WHat are the values ofr each skill in the L5 bar routine? DO they add up to 10 and then deductions are taken from the 10? We use FIG here.

Yes, but it's ONE EVENT. I think it would be demoralizing and frustrating to be stuck in level 4 because even though you might have had all your other skills down pat, you didn't have a kip. If she is shaky on a lot of other skills, maybe. :)

Yes it's one event but again it's 25% of her score.

This wouldn't work the way our gym is set up. It's a Y gym with minimal practice time and is there little-to-no "up-training." So the level 4s aren't working on kips, they are working on level 4 skills. My dd has her level 4 skills. The only way she'll be able to work on her kip is if she is level 5. I'd be O.K. with it if the coach told the girls they couldn't compete until they had their kip, but I don't think they'll do that. I think they'll just have those without their kip not compete on bars.

I wouldn't call working on your kip while in Level 4 specifically "uptraining" , I would call it "progressing along"...if your gym or YMCA isn't interested in progressing her along without the potential for humiliating her (by making her do Level 5 and either competing an event without a major skill and getting hammered on her score or sitting out the event entirely) , I'd be thinking twice about sending her there.

We had a girl at our old gym that I know missed her low bar kip and I think did the pull over on the high bar.. she scored a 4.75.. Thanks for all of your replies. I checked with my friend the other the girl I'm asking about and another don't have their kips yet, but still going to level 5. If one of the girls didn't move up, she would be a third year level 4 because of her kip.

oh bless her - it is a hard move to get. Perhaps taking the pressure off that one move and letting her go to the new challenges of 5 will help. She can still do very well on the other pieces until it arrives. Good luck to them.

Yes it's one event but again it's 25% of her score.
I thought the scores didn't matter as long as you did your best. Her best right now is a routine with no kips. And... This is only level 5. It would be more of an issue if she was trying to compete level 8-10.

It is a shame that there are not more a;ternatives to USAG for girls lke this. My youngest is doing great with her kip now, but she really worked for YEARS to get it. It is very tough for some kids, no matter what the coaches do. I love that our system allowed her to compete the skills she had whilst not competing others.

I appreciate the idea of USAG is progression, but as many girls do not make it past L6 it would be nice is there was a nationwide option for kids who love gym but lack in certain areas.

We have a provincial syste, but we also have a regional syste, where girls can just compete, and qualify to our States equivalent, on one or more apparatus. It really keeps kids in the sport longer.

I wouldn't call working on your kip while in Level 4 specifically "uptraining" , I would call it "progressing along"...if your gym or YMCA isn't interested in progressing her along without the potential for humiliating her (by making her do Level 5 and either competing an event without a major skill and getting hammered on her score or sitting out the event entirely) , I'd be thinking twice about sending her there.

While there have been times when I would have dearly loved to move her to a different gym, she isn't interested. She is happy; loving gymnastics and working hard. That is the point, right?

While there have been times when I would have dearly loved to move her to a different gym, she isn't interested. She is happy; loving gymnastics and working hard. That is the point, right?

It is the whole point, unless you are so unhappy with it you find it irritating.;)

It is the whole point, unless you are so unhappy with it you find it irritating.;)

Oh, there are plenty of things I find irritating about our present gym situation, many of which I gripe about here.:D However, my daughter is very adament about staying where she is. Of course, I'm the mom, and I could "make" her switch to the "better" gym, but then if she ended up burning out or just not liking it, and then quitting altogether, I'd be kicking myself.

This topic applies to J right now. She has all 3 other events down and will score nicely. Bars however, not so much.. The dreaded kip just isn't there. She will compete all 4 events this Saturday. However, the only reason she is competing bars is that this, in all likelyhood, will be her only meet this year. We are moving to Colorado and they do not have a spring compulsory season (Vegas has compulsories in the fall and spring) Most meets have already been registered for so we are a bit late to the fall season in Co. The hope is that even though the bars score will be DREADFUL that she can get the requisite 31 and start training 6/7. She has 6/7 skills on all other events so perhaps a solid year will bring the bars up to snuff.. Wish her luck!

This thread has some good insight/opinions from parents, gymnasts and coaches as to issues we have in my own gym right now, across a couple of levels. I would love to start a similar thread to continue gathering opinions about this TO COMPETE or NOT COMPETE... I think that is what I will call it and place it in Questions for All. Look for my own opinions there and I would love to hear from others!

This will not help the OP but the predicament presented here is exactly why I think they should have never removed the kip requirement from L4. The gap between L4 and 5 is just way too huge. A strong high scoring L4 in the old day can be presumed L5 ready. Can't say the same anymore.

This topic applies to J right now. She has all 3 other events down and will score nicely. Bars however, not so much.. The dreaded kip just isn't there. ... The hope is that even though the bars score will be DREADFUL that she can get the requisite 31 and start training 6/7. She has 6/7 skills on all other events so perhaps a solid year will bring the bars up to snuff.. Wish her luck!
To bring the bars from L4 to L6/7 is much more than just getting a kip. I hope you realize bars is believed by many to be the one event that holds kids back more than any others. If she doesn't have her present skills already in place, it's not realistic and it will be disastrous to have her jump 2 levels to something much more difficult, IMHO.

I think someone else also made the point that in this situation the gymmie would just barely be getting the scores to move up - that might put her at a disadvantage right off.

This topic applies to J right now. She has all 3 other events down and will score nicely. Bars however, not so much.. The dreaded kip just isn't there. She will compete all 4 events this Saturday. However, the only reason she is competing bars is that this, in all likelyhood, will be her only meet this year. We are moving to Colorado and they do not have a spring compulsory season (Vegas has compulsories in the fall and spring) Most meets have already been registered for so we are a bit late to the fall season in Co. The hope is that even though the bars score will be DREADFUL that she can get the requisite 31 and start training 6/7. She has 6/7 skills on all other events so perhaps a solid year will bring the bars up to snuff.. Wish her luck!

If she doesn't have a kip at all, how on earth will she start training Levels 6/7? This is a recipe for disaster. She doesn't have the basic requirements to be a 5 never mind a 6 or a 7 and I can't imagine why she would be moved along with the skills as mentioned.

you don't compete level 6 when you don't have a kip. that's absurd.

Just wanted to add, OP's daughter is 7 years old and was competing level 3 in February. There is no need to rush, and I think OP is considering slowing down as a result of her thread on the parents' board.

Her J is doing well, but is struggling at 5; Moving to 6 would be a MAJOR injustice. My daughter was skipped a year of developmental and is paying dearly now at a new gym re-learning level 5 the right way and getting rid of balking and major form issues.

If I knew then what I know now, I NEVER would have let them move her along she was NOT ready and has not had a successful level 4 or level 5 season as a result of the rushing.

This year, new gym, much better coaching, a repeat of level and we are now no longer balking on vault, or BHSBHS and other skills are just so much better. About a month into the move she wanted to quit because she was not used to being coach or conditioning, etc. Also, the repetition required to get rid of the balking and other issues is extremely difficulty. Now 2.5 months into the new gym, she is a MUCH happier gymnast now. But the transition has been extremely difficult. Not worth the rush not worth it at ALL.

Last edited:
Two things. Im not the OP, and second, no one ever said J would compete 6 without a kip. She did not have a kip the one L5 meet she was doing this season. The coaches thought was she could continue to uptrain and if she had gotten the score for 5 great, no need to work on those ROUTINES. No one ever said or implied that any child would compete L6 without a kip, because THAT is absurd.

For the record, i'm not considering changing anything in J's training because I trust her coaches and they are doing what we (husband and I) pay them to do, coach.

I gotta tell ya, making changes to J based on "internet experts" is a rather large fail. Opinions are like other things, we all have them.

Sorry, just struck a chord. Never said I was changing anything, and I didn't start this post. I merely commented and people then commented, taking out of context what I said. Perhaps I wasn't clear or they misunderstood.

I gotta tell ya, making changes to J based on "internet experts" is a rather large fail. Opinions are like other things, we all have them.

Wow :eek:. You just insulted a whole lot of experienced and knowledgable coaches on this board. Your statement was just downright RUDE.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back