Parents Level 8 vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi everyone!

My daughter recently started training for Level 8 - most of the events are going well and barring injury I don't see any issues getting the skills except maybe vault. It seems that the flipping vault is so much harder than the front handspring. Does vault often hold girls back moving from 7 to 8 - she is doing yurchenkos on the tramp vault and even flipped them starting last summer but putting them on the table seems so much harder. Does the size of the kid impact their ability to do the flipping vault? What did you all find to be the biggest challenge from 7 to 8?

Thanks!

Jules

It looks like taller gymnasts have a harder time with the tsuks and flips but I'm not sure. Some gyms require the flipping vault to compete at level 8, but a lot of girls continue to do the front handspring and even more do twisting vaults rather than the flipping vaults. My dd has been inconsistant with the tsuk, and sometimes competed the 1/2 on full off instead.

Taking those vaults from a training surface to the 'real' table is a big adjustment for most gymnast. Be patient. At dd's gym more than a few girls vaulted FHS the firsts few meets until they were more prepared for competing their yurchenkos. It should not hold your dd back, unless it is a requirement at her gym.
Next to vault, I've seen plenty of gymnast struggle with bars in L8. The pirouettes and giant fly away if it was not competed in L7.
Though I know some would argue that the beam series is the bigger struggle.

Our gym allows a front handspring but usually has them working on something else. We have had L8 compete tsuks, tucked and piked, yurchekos, and twisting vaults. It all depends on what the gymnast is capable of. Scoring varies so much too. At L8 states this past weekend my dd competed a tuck tsuk which she landed, run was off and not much height, scored an 8.7. Her team mate competed a twisting vault and fell on the landing and still got an 8.00. Hard for me to get why only .7 higher for what seems to be a more difficult vault and higher start value?

Our gym allows a front handspring but usually has them working on something else. We have had L8 compete tsuks, tucked and piked, yurchekos, and twisting vaults. It all depends on what the gymnast is capable of. Scoring varies so much too. At L8 states this past weekend my dd competed a tuck tsuk which she landed, run was off and not much height, scored an 8.7. Her team mate competed a twisting vault and fell on the landing and still got an 8.00. Hard for me to get why only .7 higher for what seems to be a more difficult vault and higher start value?

has to do with the start value and the inherent deductions for that vault that the other vault may not have. the higher the vault start value the more deductions there are.

and for good yurchenkos, start to finish is a minimum of 1 year training. and no shortcuts.

Wow - a year of training - does that include the time spent on drills and on the tramp vault or is that actual time vaulting on the springboard and table? What about the height of the table for Level 8 - I know our team had girls that vaulted on different heights for Level 7 - will that be the case or is it one size fits all?

Hardest rotations for my DGD were bars and beam...with the beam causing her to break her left foot (we thought it was just a toe but it was the foot) and two fingers on her right hand (they have pins in them currently). If your DD has no problems with her series on beam, then I would say bars would be the next hardest because they either have to have a release skill or the pirouette and the full handstands, clear hip and giants seem to cause them lots of trouble as well, but you're saying vault....the hardest thing about vault seems to be getting the height it takes to flip and be able to not land short...and also height is needed in order to pike it so that can also be hard to achieve. Practice, practice, practice...that's about all I can say.

Wow - a year of training - does that include the time spent on drills and on the tramp vault or is that actual time vaulting on the springboard and table? What about the height of the table for Level 8 - I know our team had girls that vaulted on different heights for Level 7 - will that be the case or is it one size fits all?

start to finished competitive product. you never stop doing certain drills for this vault. it never ends.:)

Thanks for the insight everyone! I don't think beam will be a problem because she competed bhs bhs series for level 7. She has strong handstands on bars and they are already training the 1/2 turn - she can do it, but sometimes turns too late. The clear to handstand will be a challenge, but I didn't think they needed it to handstand, as long as they have 4 b's. We'll see how it goes - its a long time until December! Thanks again!

My dd is in the same boat. She has her beam skills already and needs only her pirouette on bars; will probably get her full. Vault is going to be the hold up and our gym will not allow the fhs vault at Level 8. As a very small 9yo, she struggles with vault. I do think the smaller and lighter girls have more vault issues, though certainly that is not universal.

Well, the L8 vault has been a thorn in my Dd's side for over a year now. She had to repeat L7 this year becuase she wasn't flipping the yuerchencko and in our Gym that is the rule to move up. She just got done competing (last weekend for the SC State Team at L7 Regionals in Atlanta) and now she is back to working on that vault. I really hope that this time around she is more ready (mentally) and we will not have the drama like last year.
She has all of her other skills on the rest of the events. Ugh, have I mentioned that I hate this vault :)

As for the height of the table that should be set for each girl---its definitely not a one height works for all with tsuks and yurchenkos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back