Level Progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

luv2gym

Proud Parent
Can a gymnast in the prep op program qualify to compete in the olympics? Or, does a gymnast have to go through each compulsory level to qualify? Thanks for your help. I have been searching the requirements for olympic gymnasts but haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

prep op isn't the program that leads to the Olympics. You usually have to be at the Elite Level to be considered for the olympics Which usually means you are in the JR Olympic program and have been for many years. The Elite Level: After a gymnast has reached level 10 she can attempt to qualify to elite (Olympic-level) competition. Qualifying varies in the different JO programs.

I believe it is all spelled out somewhere on the USAG web site under the JR Olympic program

Can a gymnast in the prep op program qualify to compete in the olympics? Or, does a gymnast have to go through each compulsory level to qualify? Thanks for your help. I have been searching the requirements for olympic gymnasts but haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

According to the USAG website, rule #6: "Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience in any system (including USA Gymnastics)and who is a minimum of 14 years of age (and is also at least a freshman in High School) is eligible to petition the State Administrative Committee for entry into Level 7. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level."

I could be wrong but I take this to mean that you could enter USAG as a level 7 provided you meet the requirements and work though the optional levels toward elite status.

no. it is not possible.

and technically, you COULD bypass all competitive levels and get to the elite program. this is not how it is usually done but it is possible if a coach wanted to do it. in that scenario a coach would have to provide video for marta and the national coaching staff. they would approve attendance to the ranch/camps at their discretion.

for the original poster, PLEASE look at videos of elite/olympic level videos. it is all one needs to look at to answer your question.:)

prep op isn't the program that leads to the Olympics. You usually have to be at the Elite Level to be considered for the olympics Which usually means you are in the JR Olympic program and have been for many years. The Elite Level: After a gymnast has reached level 10 she can attempt to qualify to elite (Olympic-level) competition. Qualifying varies in the different JO programs.

I believe it is all spelled out somewhere on the USAG web site under the JR Olympic program

Actually, I have learned that you don't need to be level 10. We know of 2 level 9s that are going to elite qualifiers in June.

Actually, I have learned that you don't need to be level 10. We know of 2 level 9s that are going to elite qualifiers in June.

You don't NEED to be Level 10 but you must have skills beyond level 10 (i.e. at the elite level)..Level 9s that do elite qualifiers are either really good 9s (who could be 10s..think Madison Kocian a few years ago, won Westerns and then went on to do elite but was basically scoring high 38s and 39s as a 9) or they are 9s who won't do all that well at the qualifiers but the coaches bring them to these qualifiers anyway....

Thank you all so much for your replies. My little gymmie is only 5 and will only be advancing to level 4 after this competitive season, so we are far, far from the upper and elite levels lol. Not that I expect her to advance to the olympic level, but some moms in the gym have been discussing what the best route would be for the infamous "what ifs" ;) Our gym does send most girls into the prep op program after level 4, but for those of us who would like to keep all doors open, we were wondering, rather than go into the prep op program if we shouldn't be insistent upon staying in the compulsory levels and have our girls move up through each level. I think you all have provided the information we need to help make a decision. This forum has been so great and has provided tons of insight. For someone just beginning in this journey called gymnastics, I appreciate all of the information.

Thank you all so much for your replies. My little gymmie is only 5 and will only be advancing to level 4 after this competitive season, so we are far, far from the upper and elite levels lol. Not that I expect her to advance to the olympic level, but some moms in the gym have been discussing what the best route would be for the infamous "what ifs" ;) Our gym does send most girls into the prep op program after level 4, but for those of us who would like to keep all doors open, we were wondering, rather than go into the prep op program if we shouldn't be insistent upon staying in the compulsory levels and have our girls move up through each level. I think you all have provided the information we need to help make a decision. This forum has been so great and has provided tons of insight. For someone just beginning in this journey called gymnastics, I appreciate all of the information.

Keep in mind that a gymnast can do a year of prep op and then go back to USAG. So doing prep op for 1 or more seasons doesn't mean your dd can never be in the USAG level system.

Our gym does prep op into optionals only. We don't have any compulsories. They do prep bronze/silver until they can score out of L5. Then they do prep gold until they can score out of L6. Then they do prep platinum until they're ready for L7.

That part in my post about L10 was a direct quote from USAG JO program pages. May be they have change the rules and just haven't changed the website yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back