Parents Little DD's L4 state meet report-longish

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Little DD had her L4 state meet today. She had 5 weeks since her last meet (where she qualified for state...barely!):cool: So, we were hopeful that we would see some improvements today! She had just gotten the hang of her mill circle in the last week, was making big improvements on beam, and close to that FHC in practice last week.

Well, let's just say she had an off day! There are days when DD's muscles just simply do not seem to work as well. I don't know why, but there are definite days when the brain-muscle pathways are just not as open and flowing! Her coach has mentioned this before. Sad that it had to be today, but oh well.

She started on floor...this is our happy place for the day. I could see that she had added a lot of little details, straighter, tighter, prettier moves, but her jumps were off the music in the beginning and she actually sort of fell getting up from her backward roll thingy. (nice technical term). BHS was pretty good for her. She ended up with a 8.35 which is over a point higher than her last meet!:D:D Like I said the details were prettier today but she did not look quite right to me.

Vault was next, it looked better to me than it has but her score went down.:( Oh, and they put up her score before she even did the second vault!! This did NOT make me happy! Not sure whatever happened with that but it really doesn't matter much anyway. Then came bars. Coach spotted her on the FHC and then she fell on the mill circle (she was not doing them in warmups today either). She got the same score as last meet. Last was beam. She has looked so good on beam at practice. I do NOT think that it is good for her to do beam last...because she is tired by then. As soon as I saw her up there in warmup, I started to worry. She could not do her dismount by herself!!! So weird because she has been nailing it. Her little teammate went right before her and fell off 2 times (she never falls). Well DD got up there and right off looked strange on the MOUNT of all things. She did this weird thing with her foot sideways on the beam. It is hard to describe but it just wasn't right. She was super cautious, but didn't fall...until the dismount!:(:( She got back up and coach spotted her through it, and she did NOT get a good score. It brought her AA way down, too.

So, it was a hard day watching her struggle with things that we've seen her be able to do. She did not place on anything, which we were not expecting anyway, but it was sad to see her not able to do things we know she is capable of. That was the sad part of the day for me. It's part of her, the inconsistency, we know that, but hard to watch anyway. She was not nervous for the meet or upset afterwards which is GREAT. I worry about that as she gets older a little bit.

Anyway, it is what it is. She made it to state! And she competed! I am glad she got a much better floor score. We really saw her presentation strength shine through a little more today which was cool. She even smiled during some of it. So precious! She really does have some pretty movements sometimes. I'm going to focus on that positive!! I will put her floor video up in the next day or so. Thanks for reading and understanding, and for all the support you all give to me and to DD every day! Back to the grind on Monday, I am sure she will be spending a lot of time on beam...hee hee. She may be up there until next meet season!:p

Focus on the positive!! That is the only way to not go crazy in this sport. Sorry she had an off day at States. Nice that she improved some things on floor, though. The little things are everything! With her physical issues, it really is amazing she is even doing level 4! She has overcome so much already and that is huge. She had fun, right? That is what matters.

Focus on the positive!! That is the only way to not go crazy in this sport. Sorry she had an off day at States. Nice that she improved some things on floor, though. The little things are everything! With her physical issues, it really is amazing she is even doing level 4! She has overcome so much already and that is huge. She had fun, right? That is what matters.

Yes, she did have fun and you are RIGHT, I will focus on the positive...but I think I will be better at doing that tomorrow after a good nights' sleep. Hee hee.

I agree with mariposa! Even in some of my DD's more difficult meets, I've always focused on what positives were there. Sorry that she didn't have her best meet though. It sounds like it was just one of those days. :-(

((HUGS)) Sorry it wasn't the best of meets, but you are right in focusing on the positives & seeing some improvements! CELEBRATE! Last year at L5 states my daughter was doing pretty good, surprised us with a nice beam score and even had a pretty good floor routine. Only thing left was bars and she hadn't fallen off all season in a meet, even during the warm-up. She fell, on her squat on, and we were sort of in shock at first. But, it is what it is, and we were proud of the good things she did that day and celebrated anyway. I could have never done what she does when I was a kid, especially with all those extra eyeballs at States! KUDO's for your DD getting there and I'm sure she will just blossom now that post-season "play time" begins. DD loves the "after" meet season time the best because of all the fun things they get to do. It really recharges them for the next season!

whoo hoo for the floor score!! AND making it to states. When my dd gets down on herself for something that happened at a meet, I remind her that, hey, it was just one meet. There will be plenty more where that came from.
she's a determined little thing, isn't she? good for her!!! :D

Awesome job to your princess for making it to state and improving her floor score so much! Isn't it amazing how this little ones can show so much perserverence. I hope you get a good night's sleep.

First off WTG to your DD for making it to state to begin with..good for her. And to improve on floor to boot, def something to smile about. Sorry she had an off day with the rest of it. At least she seemed to take it all in stride. Now get some sleep Momma

You're a great gym mom. I'm glad yor DD had fun. That is the most important thing. Congrats to her on qualifying to States!

First of all....congrats to your dd for making it to states and getting out there and competing!! I know it is hard to watch them struggle but she has improved sooo much over the season! It is great that she improved her floor score so much! That is something to celebrate!! Hopefully you were able to get some good sleep!

Here is her floor routine from yesterday. I really love her "flair" that she showed. Can't wait to see how she grows over the summer. Thanks for all the wonderful words of support CB!

YouTube - Floor routine level 4 State Meet 2011

So cute!! I bet she will look even better after another summer of practice. Do you know if you guys will go to the Huntsville meet again this fall? I'll watch for her if she's there.

So cute!! I bet she will look even better after another summer of practice. Do you know if you guys will go to the Huntsville meet again this fall? I'll watch for her if she's there.

I am pretty sure my older DD will be going. Little DD may not qualify to go, but we will see I guess. Head coach only picks certain girls to go since it is SOOOO far away for us. If she has an amazing summer of improvements she may very well be there too! Hope to see you there!!! :)

Really good that you are focusing on the positives. She made states and went out and did her best on that day. Looks like she's having a good time with the sport and thats what matters.
Hope she has fun with summer practice!

She made it to states and noone can take that away from her. Long after scores are forgotten (if they aren't already) she will still have the memory of capping off her L4 season at the state meet. Good for her going out there and doing her best. I watched the video and she's adorable and defintely enjoying herself- which is most important.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back