Parents Looking for hobbies when injured

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all, my daughter hurt her right arm (elbow dislocation). She's level 3 - 6 years old. She's super active normally and plays sports, we have playing an instrument - she's constantly doing something. So I am trying to find a new way to keep her occupied. I am wondering for those who hurt their primary hand/arm etc what hobbies did you do while healing? She likes drawing, cutting/making fasion items for dolls etc.

Probably not what you want to hear... but my son had UCL surgery and the Dr. said video games would actually be good for his healing. So he got some extra video game time during the time that he could do nothing. He was twice as old as your daughter though.

Probably not what you want to hear... but my son had UCL surgery and the Dr. said video games would actually be good for his healing. So he got some extra video game time during the time that he could do nothing. He was twice as old as your daughter though.
I hadn't thought about video games. She has never shown interest but I am not opposed if she got into them rather than sitting around watching TV.

Maybe sign her up for a tap dancing or Irish dancing class?
Thank you for the idea - I asked the doctor about running and he shot that down, even on the playground he basically said no horsing around - so I think these might fall in the same category unfortunately. She does seem to be able to use the fingers on her right hand though so maybe I can still try to do arts and crafts/ bracelets something.

Another big gaming nerd, from relaxing farming games to story games to games that test your skill and reflexes or puzzle games that challenge your intelligence. (Just not a big fan of online games with toxic communities). If you need any recommendations feel free to ask me or Geoffrey Taucer :)

As for other things: drawing, arts and crafts, and creative writing are some ideas.

Perfect time to become ambidextrous. I picked it up at around that age because I was bored (kindergarten teacher didn't want me writing in cursive, so I decided to work with my right hand instead).

(kindergarten teacher didn't want me writing in cursive, so I decided to work with my right hand instead).
I don't get this, wouldn't you still be writing in cursive with your right hand then? Or else what were you doing with your right hand? I'm very confused.

Funnily enough, this is the exact opposite of what happened to me. We were required to write in cursive through primary school, and I was told to be right handed because that was more convenient. I am not sure because young memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I was ambidextrous originally. I sure wish I'd been allower to practise skills like writing and drawing left handed as well as right handed growing up, it would have been useful quite some times.

I read a LOT as a kid when I was injured (non gymnastics sport). My parents discovered I liked Nancy Drew books, and they kept the house stocked.

I also walked the dog a ton when I had upper body injuries (broken thumb, dislocated shoulder, etc.), and it was really nice to get out and get moving.

When my daughter was hurt, we purchased educational apps for my husband's tablet. She does not get screen time usually, so she was super engaged for days (and got better at math and broadened her vocabulary).

I hope for quick healing for your daughter!

My daughter is younger, but she broke her wrist last year. We did lots of arts and crafts and one-on-one time with special activities. (Took her away for a weekend, visiting the zoo, etc.)

Whenever I dislocated my elbow, I got into swimming (After I was out of the cast ofc!). My doctor actually recommended it and it was really good for helping me regain mobility. I know it's winter but you might try and find a gym with an indoor pool or like a city rec center like mine!

I don't get this, wouldn't you still be writing in cursive with your right hand then? Or else what were you doing with your right hand? I'm very confused.

Funnily enough, this is the exact opposite of what happened to me. We were required to write in cursive through primary school, and I was told to be right handed because that was more convenient. I am not sure because young memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I was ambidextrous originally. I sure wish I'd been allower to practise skills like writing and drawing left handed as well as right handed growing up, it would have been useful quite some times.
I was working on printing with my right hand at that point. I didn't move on to right-handed cursive until I mastered the printing (the last few months of kindergarten). I was actually already ambidextrous before then, but didn't apply that to handwriting until I got in trouble with my teacher.
Back then (in my state), you didn't learn cursive until second grade. When I was in college, students in kindergarten-1st grade learned D'Nealian handwriting. Then, in second grade, they started "hooking" the letters together into D'Nealian cursive. From 3rd grade on, they wrote in cursive.

I was working on printing with my right hand at that point. I didn't move on to right-handed cursive until I mastered the printing (the last few months of kindergarten). I was actually already ambidextrous before then, but didn't apply that to handwriting until I got in trouble with my teacher.
Back then (in my state), you didn't learn cursive until second grade. When I was in college, students in kindergarten-1st grade learned D'Nealian handwriting. Then, in second grade, they started "hooking" the letters together into D'Nealian cursive. From 3rd grade on, they wrote in cursive.
Thanks, I understand now.

It's interesting learning that you weren't allowed to learn cursive first, I didn't even consider that people would learn to write differently in different countries.

Thanks, I understand now.

It's interesting learning that you weren't allowed to learn cursive first, I didn't even consider that people would learn to write differently in different countries.
I was talking to a parent (at gymnastics ... they were from India and moved to Ohio for a job) just a couple of years ago. He said his daughter learned cursive in India. She was in 1st grade here, and in the FIRST WEEK of school, they had to have a parent-teacher conference. Not only did they want her to learn how to print, but the teacher tried to tell them that she needed to UNLEARN cursive!?!?!?! Like she didn't want her even to use cursive at home. I told him not to worry about what the teacher said. I told him that there is no reason she can't use both.
This year, Ohio has decided that it might be important for students to know how to read and write in cursive, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back