Parents mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jmcauliffe

Hi there, wondering how to help my 11yr old DD with a mental block she's having with her round-off flip-flop 2. She is a new level 6 gymnast but for some reason is having trouble with the above skill-something she's been able to do for 2 years. She was working on round-off flip flop back tuck before last meet season. Should note that she developed Sievers in her left heel last summer. She came out of it fine but at the end of Sept she started with the mental block. She hasn't had any other problems on any of the other skills so not sure why this one is a problem for her. If anyone has any ideas on ways to help her out, I am all ears (or more accurately eyes).
Thanks!:confused:

My dd developed a mental block on her beam dismount after a bad fall. My dd's coach and I talked about it and the coach said she would work though it with her but for me to never ever mention it. This was also a skill she had done 400 times correctly and then all of sudden could not do it at all. Your reaction is to want to discuss how you know they can do the skill because they have done it a hundred times however the coach said this does more harm. Dd has a great coach that does not get frustrated and works through stuff with them so I left it to her and never mentioned it and by competition time she had the dismount. So my advice talk to her coach and see what their plan is in handling this block.

Thanks for the advice. Her dad seems to think that she needs a break but as a former gymnast myself, I think that is the worst thing we could do. I know she'll get it back and that we have to be patient. glad to find a forum for gymnast parents to connect since gymnastics is not like any other sport out there. :)

Really common at that age to get these back tumbling fears. You and her coach need to come up with a plan to take her back to even just doing a bhs and working forward again. It may take awhile, she may come around in a few weeks, but the worst thing to do is rush it or push her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back