WAG Mom getting upset at L3 workout schedule - with L2's!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess I am in the minority here, but I don't know that it is entirely a bad thing. You said that your DD and the other little girl are the youngest and age-wise fit better with the L2s. Practicing with them once or twice a week may be good for her socially, and honestly its not like she is a L5 practicing with the L2s. There isn't that much of a difference between those two levels and you said many of those L2s are repeats. My DD has been the youngest on her level for years now, and it does affect her, so I suppose I see things slightly differently than others. There is definitely a strong social aspect to gymnastics, and having fun with kids their own age is a good thing.

In that case, if it is a ratio thing, then the coaches should be teaching to ALL their athletes. If there are 2 L3s training with the L2s, then they should specifically get what they need. Period.

This goes back to my point, the ONE L3 we have working out in the night, optional group, must get her time as well. When the coach gets to her, he has to change bar settings, use a different vault, etc....but she gets her time.

Ask for a meeting and explain that she needs to get the instruction regardless of group.

I would be miffed about paying for level 3 training and getting level 2 training. However, it sounds like she is doing just fine in level 3 meets, so her skills are there at the level she is competing. So coaches are doing something right.

Frankly, in the scheme of things, this will not "hold her back" - she will advance, get skills, lose skills, threaten to quit and all of the rest that goes with being a gymnast for years and years. And trust me, I have had plenty of "not happy with coaching" thoughts in my DDs time in gymnastics, but what you are describing is really a small issue. I would suggest just observing her development over the next year as well as how the gym is run and assess what you think of the overall program, rather than develop a lot of angst (my word, not yours) over this inconsistency. Heck next year, they may bump her up a training group and then the other moms will be all pissy at you and your DD!! ;)

I offer this last bit as a little perspective...she is doing well in an appropriate level of competition, she is healthy, sounds like she is having fun. I would PAY a fortune for my DD to be experiencing that right now!!

wow! 6 pages and counting devoted to beginner level gymnastics. just leave the place and try somewhere else. the "journey" is supposed to be somewhat enjoyable with some hiccups along the way. :)

This seems pretty flip -- a lot depends on where you live and what's available. Maybe there isn't anything else that works for this family. I'm in a huge urban area with many gyms and even here changing gyms would be nearly impossible for us. Yes, there are other choices, but by the time you factor in my job, my daughter's school schedule, our budget and the family activity time-tables, the choice would be the gym we are at or no gymnastics at all.

And yes, I know that L3 is supposed to be the start, but for those of us who are in the middle of it, there is still a certain amount of seriousness to it. And our daughters certainly take it seriously. Sure, its a beginning level, but 10 - 12 hours a week and $500/month (what we pay -- I have no idea about the OP) it is NOT something that I am willing to shrug my shoulders at! Those of you with upper-level girls, or enough wealth and time that this isn't a big deal, may think it is just baby stuff, but it still has a huge impact on our families and deserves to be taken seriously.

Well, that's total out of pocket for me. It includes tuition and the car service I pay to get her to practice that starts before I'm finished at work each day. But yeah, not just a casual thing.

May be different in that thus is a new team and everyone, regardless of rec class level, started as L3. My daughter was rec class L6 skills and routines before last year. So maybe that changes perceptions - most of our team is older and have been doing gymnastics for years before this. The gym was firmly rec only before this new coach joined the staff.

wow! 6 pages and counting devoted to beginner level gymnastics. just leave the place and try somewhere else. the "journey" is supposed to be somewhat enjoyable with some hiccups along the way. :)

Every girl competing L10 had to start at the bottom and deal with these levels. They must matter in some way. As another person with a lower level gymnast (and my DD will never be a L10) who pays WELL over $500 a month, I am actually monetarily invested in her training. Not in terms of where DD ends up in gymnastics long term- I don't care as long as she is happy, but in terms of day-to-day training. I am paying for particular hours and levels, and I want what I am paying for. I would be mad if I were paying a gym to teach DD L4 routines and skills and was getting L2 instead. I actually am mad because I am currently paying a gym to teach DD L5 routines and she hasn't learned a one, not a bit, in 5 weeks. I feel I am allowed to want what I paid for, and so is everyone else. Admittedly it would be easier to be laissez faire about it all if it were low cost to go with the low levels.

Every girl competing L10 had to start at the bottom and deal with these levels. They must matter in some way.

No they didn't. Many, many gyms do not competing until L4 (old L5). Here L2 would be rec. The fact that gyms are sucking parents in by competing L2 is really unfortunate in my opinion. It leaves parents with no choice, but it also means their kids are slowed down by the need to do a season at each level. There is no reason kids cannot just train skills until they are ready for L4, well except money.

Perhaps not allowing kids to compete until they are 8 would help.

Honestly it is a big money making machine.

No they didn't. Many, many gyms do not competing until L4 (old L5). Here L2 would be rec. The fact that gyms are sucking parents in by competing L2 is really unfortunate in my opinion. It leaves parents with no choice, but it also means their kids are slowed down by the need to do a season at each level. There is no reason kids cannot just train skills until they are ready for L4, well except money.

I actually agree in part. I see zero point in L2 or L3- if kids are required to start at L4, then start them all there. When I said lower levels, I just meant compulsories. However, since in some places you absolutely have to start your kids at the first two due to the overall preference of the area, functionally it makes no difference if we are talking L3 or L4.

Totally agree with this Bog...neither of my girls competed Level 2, 3 or preteam and have gone on to do quite well...both started competing as 4s (1st USAG competitive level at the time but it was not required) , did TOPS, one did a stint in elite and both were multi year 10s and getting scholarships at D1 schools...I think USAG sucks people into the whole "you must compete L2/L3" thing and I see it as a total money maker...you can go on to do the required compulsory levels without spending years competing as a level 2 or 3....although I don't think I'd go so far as to say they couldn't compete til they were 8 years old because some kids are ready before that...

Right. But again very region dependent. Here there are no gyms that start after L3 for a beginning season. You can test in higher IF you have prior competitive experience but otherwise it's L3 or nothing. Not too many L2 groups though. So its not so much how they would do but what is available in your city. Clearly it's not all the same.

Come on dunno, there is a HUGE difference between level 2 and level 3. :rolleyes:This could be detrimental to her future chances!!!!!
Detrimental is a bit strong. Maybe, it's helping, she's doing well in competitions. Could be that she is perfecting her form on basics. OP - have you asked of she can do level 3 skills and routines at the level 2 practice? Have you asked what the plan for after this season is?

There's been many pages of debate and opinion here, but reality is, it's what the gym is going to do that matters.

Totally agree with this Bog...neither of my girls competed Level 2, 3 or preteam and have gone on to do quite well...both started competing as 4s (1st USAG competitive level at the time but it was not required) , did TOPS, one did a stint in elite and both were multi year 10s and getting scholarships at D1 schools...I think USAG sucks people into the whole "you must compete L2/L3" thing and I see it as a total money maker...you can go on to do the required compulsory levels without spending years competing as a level 2 or 3....although I don't think I'd go so far as to say they couldn't compete til they were 8 years old because some kids are ready before that...
But was it old level 4 which equals level 3 now?

I am not talking L3, I have issues with L2. Here you can compete a L3/4 equivalent the year you start grade 3 (8 turning 9). There are no comps before that, just evaluations something like TOPs.

I think all this pressure on parents when kids should be in developmental groups is crazy. Train them for a few years, see where their potential lies and let them start later at a level that fits.

Reactions: sce
Our gym has level 3s that compete, but nothing before that. And the girls do not have to compete..they can just practice. Level 2 is preteam.

I wonder, if by competing the lower levels so intensely (l1-3), if the girls get so focused on routines that they don't develop really good basics. I know our boys don't start competing until level 5, although next year they might do a level 4 group a 1-2 meets. But the bonus of that is when they get to 5, they have really good, solid basics and are ready to compete and be successful. Some kids have come from our level 4 group and jumped to level 6/7 because of that (boys don't have score outs).

I guess, for me, at l1-3, the focus should be on good solid fundamentals that will allow gymnasts to progress quickly and learn new skills appropriately. I think competing too fast could lead to some bad habits in order to just "chuck" a skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back