WAG Mom getting upset at L3 workout schedule - with L2's!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My point was that they did not compete rec or preteam levels...which is what levels 2 and 3 were then...

But, OP's DD is competing L3, which (unless I misunderstood your posts) is where your DDs started. Sure, under the old level numbers it was called L4, but that level is now called L3.

I just point this out because in a couple of posts, I read the tone as critical of competing L3, but then I read what appears to be that your children competed that level as well. I full well admit that tone is difficult to read in a post, so I am sorry if I am reading into it.

I agree that competing L2 (and really L3--I would be perfectly happy for my daughter to start competing at L4) or worrying about results at that level is a waste. But I do not think it is silly and petty for parents to worry about getting their daughters good training at the beginner levels so they have a solid foundation to build on.

Not sure what I think of OP's situation, though. It sounds as if her daughter may be getting adequate training, although the "ratios" argument sounds a little fishy.

Scoring well in (new) Level 3 is neccesarily an not an indicator of readiness for Level 4 or readiness for uptraining (nor does scoring better than another Level 3 mean they are more ready for Level 4 than the other kid). Mill circle and front hip circle as an example.....kind of a waste of time in my opinion. And I can see why coaches just would not spend a lot of time perfecting them with some gymnasts just for the purpose of scoring better in Level 3, if they want them to move along to Level 4 faster. With a girl they want in Level 4 and beyond sooner rather than later, the coaches may not be too concerned about their level 3 scores one way or another. Lots of gyms don't even compete Level 3.

Focus on your own child. Ask the coaches the reason. If you don't like it and they don't want to change it, find a new gym, but know you will find similar issues there at some point in time.. I agree with a few other posters that a parent getting worked up about a young Level 3 training the basics with Level 2's, would kind of get you on the crazy list pretty fast at our gym. Again, if a seven year old is getting that much time in a gym and is on the JO track the gym wants them on their team.... relax!! It's a long journey.

No they didn't. Many, many gyms do not competing until L4 (old L5). Here L2 would be rec. The fact that gyms are sucking parents in by competing L2 is really unfortunate in my opinion. It leaves parents with no choice, but it also means their kids are slowed down by the need to do a season at each level. There is no reason kids cannot just train skills until they are ready for L4, well except money.

Perhaps not allowing kids to compete until they are 8 would help.

Honestly it is a big money making machine.

spot on!

I wonder, if by competing the lower levels so intensely (l1-3), if the girls get so focused on routines that they don't develop really good basics. .
I think ti depends on how it's done. Doing the lower levels could teach good basics and build a foundation of good form etc. Or it could burn out gymnasts by lingering them in these lower levels. For some kids the lower levels give them a chance to be on a team and compete even if they aren't super hot shots too. My 10yo dd competes level 3. She's enjoying doing gymnastics and competing adds to that enjoyment.

But, OP's DD is competing L3, which (unless I misunderstood your posts) is where your DDs started. Sure, under the old level numbers it was called L4, but that level is now called L3.

I just point this out because in a couple of posts, I read the tone as critical of competing L3, but then I read what appears to be that your children competed that level as well. I full well admit that tone is difficult to read in a post, so I am sorry if I am reading into it.

No we never competed or even did level 1, 2, 3 or preteam...they were in a rec class called "tumblebees", asked if we wanted to do "team", and moved on to compete 2 meets as a 4, and then moved to 5....and we never really did a full season of 5 or 6...point being, they were moved along based on ability , not age, or group size...

I don't think the posts have been "critical of competing level 3" but more of a "it's too bad USAG is sucking you into these rec/preteam levels because they're not really necessary in the long run"....and even worse if the gyms in your area require it because then you are stuck.

Some of this may also depend on where you think your gymnast is going to end up. DD's gym started a team only last year, so she started competing L3 (the only option for the entire group) as an 11 year old. Given that, and the prevailing one-level-per-year approach in the area, she will probably just be L6 when she starts high school. She is good, fearless and has a great body type for gymnastics and, in a different situation, might have been quite competitive at the upper levels. But realistically, she's too old to get there without doing something drastic. It's totally up to her, but I think it would be good if she competed at the high school level. But she's probably won't even be a good candidate for college-level gymnastics (which is OK -- she wants to be a vet and that is going to take lots of academic concentration). So, for her (and thus for us), competing at L3, L4 and L5 is probably more important because that may be all she gets. If you think your gymnasts will be an L10 at some point, L3 might seem like nothing. But if you think that L5 might be it, then L3 is proportionally more important.

No we never competed or even did level 1, 2, 3 or preteam...they were in a rec class called "tumblebees", asked if we wanted to do "team", and moved on to compete 2 meets as a 4, and then moved to 5....and we never really did a full season of 5 or 6...point being, they were moved along based on ability , not age, or group size...

I don't think the posts have been "critical of competing level 3" but more of a "it's too bad USAG is sucking you into these rec/preteam levels because they're not really necessary in the long run"....and even worse if the gyms in your area require it because then you are stuck.

We will be competing Level 3 in the spring once she turns of age towards the end of the season...did the same with Level 2 earlier this year. Do I wish they didn't compete at all until L4? sure. The reality however is that there is a grand total of $50 (a month) difference in keeping her in rec for 2 hours a week vs 9 1/2 hrs for team. So yeah, it's worth it to us for her to compete now.

Reactions: sce
I don't think the problem is competing or not competing lower levels. I think the problem is parents getting crazy about it. Let them enjoy it. Don't stress about it. Being upset about practice groups and such is silly. Being concerned that someone is getting more than your child is crazy. The OP states several times that her daughter has scored well and pointed out that she has scored better than these other girls. So great! Your coaches are doing a good job then. Her needs are being met. Her needs aren't the same as every child in the same level.

From the gymnastics perspective you might be right. However, from a parent paying the bills perspective I think we have every right to demand fair value for our money. And l2 training for l3 price isn't. Its also not right to compare children when you are denying them equal training, which the op stated was happening.

I don't think the problem is competing or not competing lower levels. I think the problem is parents getting crazy about it. Let them enjoy it. Don't stress about it. Being upset about practice groups and such is silly. Being concerned that someone is getting more than your child is crazy. The OP states several times that her daughter has scored well and pointed out that she has scored better than these other girls. So great! Your coaches are doing a good job then. Her needs are being met. Her needs aren't the same as every child in the same level.

I mostly agree, except that OP also mentioned that it bothers her daughter. I think that's part of the basis of this whole post.
When my own DD was put back in L3 one day a week to have more bar time, she would watch her L4 teammates going over the vault table without mats. When she was back with her L4 teammates, they would do more drills, landing on stacked mats. She started feeling very defeated that for 3 weeks in a row her teammates were doing it, and she didn't have any opportunity to. Did part of me want to be CGM and be like "Why can't my daughter??" Of course! But I stepped back and explained to DD that her chance would come, that right now her kip was more important.
OP doesn't even have a statement like that to explain why she's "missing out" on the bigger stuff that her teammates are doing.

And yes, if/when these girls ever hit optionals, I am sure we will all look back and take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt, but while our DDs are in the middle of it, it can feel like a big deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back