Parents new level 4 beam mount for lefty

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

njda

Proud Parent
My DD is very confused on her beam mount for the new level 4 routine. She is a lefty and has always done the leg swing mount on the old levels by swinging her LEFT leg over the beam. However during practices of the new level 4 routine her coach is having all girls (left and right legged girls) stand on the right side which makes the right leg swing over. DD says it feels strange using her right leg now for the mount. She is so confused now and is stressing over it as she has a meet soon. What leg should she be using to kick over and what side of the beam should she be starting on? Also should she be standing with the beam in front of her or behind her?

I will pay attention tomorrow morning at our practice meet and see how the lefties are doing it (my dd is a rightie).

DD is a righty and swings her right leg over. The leftys stand on the other side and swing their left leg over. I agree though, it seems confusing for sure!!

My dd is a leftie. She got a little confused with the right side/left side of the beam terminology. Here is how she does the L4 mount: She stands with her right side next to the beam, pivots/turns clockwise and swings her left leg over the beam. She said that all the L4's started off swinging their right leg over the beam, but their coach changed it before competition. She confirms that lefties and righties at her gym do start on different sides of the beam. FWIW, she has competed with this mount twice and scored very well.

Hi there! My daughter is a lefty and I think she's been mounting the beam the same way as gympunkin described. I don't know how to post videos, but if you somehow "private message" me, I will send you a link. It's easier to see it than to describe it ;-)

The Mount is allowed to be reversed although I always reverse the whole routine.

To start the routine, you face the short end with most of the beam behind you. Then you step with your bad foot and swing your good leg over as you do a half turn and end up straddling the beam facing the long part.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back