Pike Press vs. Straddle Press

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
Overall I know the straddle works more muscles and the pike works the middle and lower abs,but other than that what's the difference, which one is harder and what do you prefer?

I like pike presses because their easier and I cant seem to make my straddle ever but I like the look of them better.

It all depends on flexibility. The pike press is a bit more difficult but if the gymnast is really good at compressing and can push the shoulders down enough to do it, it's all about the angles from there :).

Assuming correct execution, a pike press is significantly harder, because of the disadvantaged leverage. Because the feet go farther behind the body, the shoulders must go farther forward to maintain balance.

As I said, though, that assumes correct execution -- an improperly-executed straddle press can be as hard as -- if not harder than -- a pike press.

I've always had trouble with the "rolling" or "opening" of the hips,So i probably havent been doing my presses correctly, as we rarely ever work them at the gym (although I wish we would).What exactly does a prefect press consist of?

In our grades system here the elite pathway gymnasts are tested on straddle press to handstand at pretty much every level.
The gymnasts who aren't on the elite pathway but are going down the national route are tested on pike press, but only from standing, not from sitting - I think even this is hard personally, and a lot of the gymnasts cheat by slightly jumping.
Most of our competitive gymnasts can straddle press to handstand, even those who are fairly low level, but they can't do the pike press from standing! Slightly frustrating that they are more likely to be tested on that than straddle press which they can do!

In our grades system here the elite pathway gymnasts are tested on straddle press to handstand at pretty much every level.
The gymnasts who aren't on the elite pathway but are going down the national route are tested on pike press, but only from standing, not from sitting - I think even this is hard personally, and a lot of the gymnasts cheat by slightly jumping.
Most of our competitive gymnasts can straddle press to handstand, even those who are fairly low level, but they can't do the pike press from standing! Slightly frustrating that they are more likely to be tested on that than straddle press which they can do!

Ingedients for a good pike press.....Work pike flexibility. If you can stand in a pike with your elbows at or slightly above you ankles, you have enough. Pike strength....Enough to hold that same amount of pike as you put your hands on the floor and push up so you are up off of the floor and still in the same "deep" pike. Keep your head nuetral as you can and if you can see any farther than just to your hands you head is way too up. So all you have to do now is maintain your balance and slowly unfold at the lower back and then at the hips. Do not arch your back to "drag" your bum and legs toward the handstand.

That's about all there is to it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back