Parents Prep Op and Level 6 concerns...please read and comment :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for your response to my question, Gymgal. I see that my understanding of the original purpose of Prep Op was incorrectly assumed.

To me there's just a difference in quickly pushing L 6 skills out of the way (I saw one poster say they did it in a week or two), for one meet. I realize they need the move up score so the skills have to be there. But that's not the same as the constant training and discipline of doing some of these basic skills over and over. I know it sounds silly, but doing those compulsory skills over and over are very important.

By this logic, teams should also not be able to do level 5, score out of level 6, and then go directly to level 7... or indeed score out of any level with just one meet and move on to the next one. It sounds like you believe that every USAG gymnast should do a full season (or at least more than just one meet) at every level. Which, I think, is a theory that has a lot of merit to it. But I don't think it has anything to do with doing (or not doing) prep op.

Additional comments

My DD's gym has been involved in PO for 4 years. 2 yrs ago they started using it as a training ground for those girls going into L6. They also still use it for those girls who do HS gymnastics or those girls who want to stay in gymnastics but want less time commitment. So basically PO is being used in two ways with two different practice schedules. It's a good program and keeps gymnasts involved. The few issues I have with it is there are some gyms that stay to the recommended practice hours of 4-6/wk and when they compete they are up against gymasts who practice 10+/wk. (Our gym has both practices schedules). Somehow is just doesn't seem very fair. And also the scoring is vastly different. My DD's flr routine as a POG usually scored a 9.5+. She did the same routine as a L7 and never got above an 8.9. My DD is now going to do POP (with the limited practice schedule) due to some beam issues so it will be interesting to see the scoring and level of competors. It's all for fun....in the end.

I have to disagree about the purpose of Prep-Op, I copied this from USA Gymnastics web site

The P.R.E.P. Optional Program is designed to offer a broad-based, affordable competitive experience outside the traditional Jr. Olympic Program to attract and retain a diverse group of athletes. The program gives an opportunity for:
  1. Class students to participate in organized gymnastics events.
  2. Those athletes who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program and have qualified to Level 7 or above but need a more basic introduction to optional competition.
  3. Those athletes who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program at the Compulsory level and would like to experience a basic optional program during their "off" season.
  4. Those athletes who have either "retired" from the Jr. Olympic Program or do not wish to train or compete at Level 7 or 8.
  5. Athletes not previously involved with USA Gymnastics to enter the program.
:: USA Gymnastics :: Prep Optional Programs ::

Based on that, I don't interpret the purpose of PREP Op as a transition level between Compulsory and Optionals or a replacement for Compulsories. Now it is rather obvious to me based on this discussion that several states are using it (quite successfully, so it seems) in these ways. How successfully or unsuccessfully different regions, states, coaches, etc. cannot really be argued because we only really know (as parents) what we've experienced and usually that is basically our state or region. Those in NC cannot compare to Massachusetts or Ohio or Colorado or California. I look forward to having this discussion once the program is standardized across the nation - until then we might all be accurate on our perception of prep op for our area. Maybe we could take this thread out of the parent forum and get some coaches perspectives?

I can only comment on why #1, 4, and 5 don't work in our area. It is cost. Look, to become a prep-op USAG member it is $15 but most of our prep-op gymnasts paid lv4-10 member costs. All of our prep-op meet entry fees are the same as Optional fees(ie $100 or more). Judge Req. are the same as opt. req. Our state has only 2 levels. If we had the level 2-4s use the prep-op program or a "class" gymnast there would be sticker shock. Also I don't think a gymnast retires if they are still doing gymnastics; no matter what the program. Apparently, USAG does. Weird they would use those words.

I find it very interesting to hear how prep-op is used around the country. It makes more sense to me now how it can be used as a stepping stone to optional. At our gym, we don't have prep-op, but a local league. It is much cheaper (meets are only $35, for example) and lower-key. It seems some areas use prep-op like ours uses the local league, and some use it as a stepping stone. Very educational thread!

Lol it's true. The internet reminds me of what we call "Deaf drama". In the Deaf community (partially b/c it's small) but also because we text and e-mail instead of talking on the phone, we can't hear tone. So there's always someone getting upset about something! It's kind of crazy and silly sometimes.

Nationalization would be a really good idea. My question then would be, should prep op be set up to provide an alternative way through the levels in USAG or should be an alternative to the USAG levels entirely? If it's the first, I really think it should be integrated with the compulsory system instead of throwing it out entirely. Then maybe the level system could be saved with some tweaking to L 5 and L 6? If it's the other then there's still the issue with everyone who really prefers using prep op as a way to JO optionals. Then a lot comes from that, what it would do to local leagues like EAGLES and Mason Dixon for instance.

My own personal opinion is that it should be a completely separate program. I think that's the original intent of Prep Op. anyway.

The few issues I have with it is there are some gyms that stay to the recommended practice hours of 4-6/wk and when they compete they are up against gymasts who practice 10+/wk. (Our gym has both practices schedules). Somehow is just doesn't seem very fair. And also the scoring is vastly different. My DD's flr routine as a POG usually scored a 9.5+. She did the same routine as a L7 and never got above an 8.9. My DD is now going to do POP (with the limited practice schedule) due to some beam issues so it will be interesting to see the scoring and level of competors. It's all for fun....in the end.

Just to play devi's advocate here.... the hours gyms practice are all over the place as well. My DD's team (she practiced 16 hrs. per week as a L7) last year, would sometimes compete against some harder core gyms whose same level girls would practice 20+ hrs. per week. Once again, I believe it's quality of coaching vs. QUANTITY that matters. One of my DD's previous gyms had some of their "chosen" optional girls practicing 30... yes... 30 hours/week and they still scored in the mid to bottom range at their meets. More doesn't necessarily equal better!

The scoring for the prep optional program is definitely more relaxed (at least in my area). When my DD did her one season of prep op., she was definitely a 36 + AA at every meet. Not so when she moved back to JO L7!

I have to disagree about the purpose of Prep-Op, I copied this from USA Gymnastics web site

Good job going straight to the source! LOL

I agree. The way I read this blurb is that Prep Op is supposed to be a different road for gymnasts to travel down. Not "less than", just different.

Given this, then I stand by my original opinion that Prep Op should not be used to bridge over compulsory levels because they are "too hard" or "too boring".

Good job going straight to the source! LOL

I agree. The way I read this blurb is that Prep Op is supposed to be a different road for gymnasts to travel down. Not "less than", just different.

Given this, then I stand by my original opinion that Prep Op should not be used to bridge over compulsory levels because they are "too hard" or "too boring".

Until a couple of years ago Prep Op was almost non-existant here. Over the past couple of years I have seen a huge trend to have girls compete 1 or 2 Level 6 meets to "score out" and then do Prep Op until they have the skills needed for L7. I am sure this is mainly for the rentention of these gymnasts to keep them challenged and engaged while working to reach the L7.

Honestly, if gymnastics is "too boring" alot of girls are going to quit. Whats the point of that? I would think that having fun would be a big part of gymnastics for most girls because honestly not that many are going to go "all they way" in this sport anyway! I am glad that there are options!

This is obviously not what was originally intended for Prep Op but this is how it has evolved here in Missouri. I read some of the other states requirements for Prep Op and all of them are vastly different than Missouri. So, my opinion of Prep Op is going to be different than anyone elses.

Last edited:
I am not knowledgeable enough to speak intelligently about the way Prep Op is handled in Kentucky. And it's a fairly new program for our gym. The only thing I really know about it is the opinions and statements made by parents who have daughters in the new program.

I think Prep Op holds a very valuable place in gymnastics because like has been stated, not every girl wants to compete JO. That shouldn't shut them out of the sport.

But I'm also a purist and I see the value in compulsories being mastered. I still remember watching the compulsory section of the 1996 Olympics and really enjoying watching these amazing athletes all doing the same routine to compare skills. So I like the idea of fully mastering the compulsory portion of JO before earning optional status.

I don't think that Prep Op should be looked down upon. Just because a gymnast doesn't want to devote excess hours to gym in order to compete optionals does not make her less dedicated, less talented, or less hard working. There is nothing wrong with wanting to do gymnastics and have a social life. In some ways, I think Prep Op may be the "saner" path. LOL

I think after a gymnast scores out of L6, she should choose which path she wishes to travel down...Prep Op or JO. But that's simply my opinion as someone who has no experience and no dog in the fight. :)

By this logic, teams should also not be able to do level 5, score out of level 6, and then go directly to level 7... or indeed score out of any level with just one meet and move on to the next one. It sounds like you believe that every USAG gymnast should do a full season (or at least more than just one meet) at every level. Which, I think, is a theory that has a lot of merit to it. But I don't think it has anything to do with doing (or not doing) prep op.

I actually scored out of L 7 myself after two meets, so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite. But scoring out has a place for individual girls based on individual coaches and families decisions. I don't think there should be an institutionalized system for entire teams/states/regions to automatically score out if that difference makes sense. If that's the case then L 6 should be revamped to have a continued role, which is back to what I've been saying.

When my dd did level 6, it was a really tough year! We also had a major coaching change at our gym between levels 5 & 6, so that may have played a role as well. Our gym had 3 other gymnasts besides dd that competed level 6 that year, the other 3 quit the summer after level 6. My dd was able to score 36-37 AA at levels 4,5,7 and in between 6 and 7 at prep op. Her best score at level 6 was barely a 35. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a bad score, just that it was different than her experiences before or after. I think there is a big difference between competing 1 meet to "score out" with a 32 and spending a whole season being frustrated.

Dunno....they still must compete 1 level 6 meet and get the "score" for moving up....then they will do prep op and move to 7 when ready. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks. I am very confused.

This will be my dd's gym's 3rd year of doing this, and my dd is in this group this year. She did 1 year of L4, 2 yrs of L5 and now will compete one L6 meet at the beginning of the season to try to score out of L6 and will then do PO for the rest of the season. Girls can possibly even move to L7 after a couple PO meets if they get their giants consistently. Last season there were maybe 3 girls who did this. I expect there will probably be a couple others move on to L7 this year too. I fully expect my dd will do the full year of PO and then hopefully L7 next year. She's progressing with L7 floor skill and beam BHSs but is nowhere close to giants. I don't believe she's even trained those yet, although some girls in her group are already doing them.

Anyway, I think her gym went to this route in place of L6 then L7 due to a couple of reasons:
1. Level 6 scoring is very tough. Girls can get discouraged and end up dropping out
2. Doing PO lets the girls do something different and more exciting than everyone doing the same L6 routine. This is especially beneficial for girls who have already spent 3-4 years in L4-5. I think the owner's viewpoint is that PO will help with retention.

It seems to be a good program so far. My dd is super excited to be doing it this year.

Let me get this straight...you must still learn all the level 6 routines in order to score out of level 6, then you do prep op until you are ready for level 7. If you must learn all the 6 stuff....why not just do level 6? What is the reasoning for it? I have heard level 6 can be brutal but in also felt that prep op was for gymnasts that had fear issues (keeping them from skills needed in optionals) or who wanted to still do gymnasts but also do other sports too. I would be infested in hearing why your gym is changing to this set up. Good luck

This year our gym will not have any level 6's because there are not any girls ready to compete 6 (maybe in the spring there will be a Lvl 6 team). Any way, my DD competed Lvl 5 last year and will do one meet to mobilize out of Lvl 6 (yes they have to learn the Lvl 6 routines but technically only need a 31 to score out) to go straight to Lvl 7. She has just turned 9 years old & is also in TOPs, so is on the "fast track". Our gym usually only does Prep Op Platinum if the girls who have just finished Lvl 6 are not quite ready for Lvl 7, and then sometimes they will mobilize out of Lvl 7 and go straight to Lvl 8 after their Prep Op Platinum year. It all depends on the girl. Hope that makes sense!

my DGD went from Prep Opt to 8...and now she is quitting...should have worked on lower skills for longer but it is what it is, she is broken beyond repair.

I have a similar issue with my DD. She did one year of L4, 1 meet as L5, 2 meets as L6, then L7 (age 9 at that time). She has struggled since her 2nd year of L7 and debates quiting often. She is now 14 and doesn't want to quit but doesn't really want to have her full time spent to it. It makes me sad because at L4 she had unbelievable potential and somewhere everything went down hill. Too much too fast. My other DD progressed 1 yr L4, 1yr L5, split year of L6/L7, full yr L7, 2 yr L8 and ready to move L9.
Our gym usually does a score out of L6. The girls then move to prep op or L7 depending on their skills and age. Many of the older girls who may not have potential to ever move to L8 just go to prep op.
Each child is different but my experience with my own 2 makes me feel slow and steady is better.

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back