WAG Punch front on beam help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
My coach wants me to work a punch front... I always land with my chest low or on my butt... I can't figure out what I'm doing... I only go on a low beam with a beam pad. I take one to two steps and I'm not ducking my head, I'm sure of that. I focus on opening my chest...

Help?

My coach always says "wherever your chest is at your punch..that's where it's gonna be at your finish." And it's true--if you do one on floor with your chest starting out way forward then you're gonna land going way forward. So maybe punch up a little higher and make sure you aren't dropping your chest.
It would be easier to tell with a video but this might be the case.

Just a wild guess, and please let me know if I got it right. When you do one on the floor beam, you change it from the way you do it on the floor. I think that's a normal reaction to transitioning from the floor line to the floor beam, but it only slows down your progress.

Do them exactly the same as you do them on floor. Use the same hurdle speed and punch posture that caught your coaches eye in the first place, and follow through with the same body positions you know have worked in the past on floor.

Do them like dunno says, and if possible do them off the end of an un-padded low beam onto that slightly elevate surface (just don't fall backwards) and add to it's height every few days until you know you have the skill figured out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back