Question about deductions for anyone who knows!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I'd like judges comments of course, but I'm sure many coaches and parents know the answers also.

I'm not trying to be my DD's coach. I'm just curious and like to be educated as much as possible. I was watching DD's meet that one of the other parents was so gracious to provide for me and I had a few deduction questions.

On my DD's floor routine she (level 4 by the way), she does her arms at the beginning of the routine and before she does the bounce/bounce/straight jump/split jump she loses her balance and takes a few steps back to steady herself. How much would a judge deduct for 2 small steps backwards? Really it was more of a shuffle backwards. It was really weird.

She was pretty nervous looking and while I thought it was a great routine she looks down at the floor alot. Her coach said she'll get deducted for that. What kind of deduction is that? Presentation? And how much?

Last question is about arms. How much gets deducted for the wrong arm positions? For example if the text says the arms are up and she has them to the side. Just curious.

These are things that the coaches are actively working on so I'm not worried. She just learned alot of the arms placements wrong at her other gym and it's taking her time to change them. She has her arms wrong at the beginning of her floor routine on her split jump. She has them up and I guess they are supposed to be shoulder height.

Thanks!

On my DD's floor routine she (level 4 by the way), she does her arms at the beginning of the routine and before she does the bounce/bounce/straight jump/split jump she loses her balance and takes a few steps back to steady herself. How much would a judge deduct for 2 small steps backwards? Really it was more of a shuffle backwards. It was really weird. Without seeing it, I would say I would have taken up to .2 for extra steps or a balance error.

She was pretty nervous looking and while I thought it was a great routine she looks down at the floor alot. Her coach said she'll get deducted for that. What kind of deduction is that? Presentation? And how much? There is an up to .3 deduction for Artistry, which includes presentation. There is also an up to .4 deduction for rhythm which sometimes can result from the nervous looking routines as well.

Last question is about arms. How much gets deducted for the wrong arm positions? For example if the text says the arms are up and she has them to the side. Just curious. Up to .4 for "text errors". The general rule of thumb is 3 or 4 text errors will equal a .1 deduction. So, if there is only one text error in the routine, there really shouldn't be a deduction. However, this is a hot topic in judging circles as some judges like to take .1 for each error, up to 4. Not right (or fair) but it happens.

Thanks gympanda. If I knew how to upload it I would totally email it to you and let you critique it. I just can't figure out how to do it. It's a DVD and I know virtually nothing about how to convert it to the type of file needed to send it to someone.

Those deductions are about what I guessed they would be. The weird little shuffle was when she was doing absolutely nothing. I think she was just nervous. I'm sure she has more than one text error in the routine! I'm pretty sure she's getting deducted on her half turn as it looked ugly at the meet and I'm also not sure her weight transfer is correct. She's new to this gym and her coach mentioned something about her not doing it correctly, but since I'm not sure what correct looks like I'm not sure if she does it right in her meet routine.

I'm also have a question about her handstand bridge kickover. I remember reading a thread about this before where you commented, but couldn't find it. She does her handstand bridge kickover with her legs straight and feet together. Then she adjusts her feet to kick over. Most of the girls on her team bend their knees as they touch the ground and their feet are apart. Her coach said it's fine if the knees are bent as long as the shoulders are in the correct position. My question relates to the fact that when she keeps her legs straight she has to adjust them on the ground in order to kickover. If she bends her knees she doesn't have this adjustment of her feet and it looks smoother, but the straight legs look nicer. She has a pretty flexible shoulders and back. What kinds of things do judges deduct for on that skill? How much of a foot adjustment is acceptable and how quickly should they kick back over?

Thanks again. Your the best!

That skill was a hot topic here for a while. What you are describing isn't necessarily a deduction as they are allowed to have the bent & apart legs. However, going from straight to bent might incur a rhythm deduction.

That's what I was wondering. For some reason DD has a harder time doing it with bent legs. I think it looks prettier going down as she does it with good control and just doesn't plop over, but because the straight legs cause her feet to be further away from her body she must adjust more to kickover. She has a teammate who is the floor state champ and she does it with straight legs too, but is able to adjust very quickly and kickover faster. So hopefully DD will get there with adjusting quicker and smoother.

I was always told for every "baby step" they could take up to .1 deduction so for 2 steps UP to .2 deduction. Doesn't mean they will take the full .1
That was the part i never liked for this one .05 deduction for a step but the next girl they make take .1 deduction. I hate the "Up To this" type of deductions.
Judges are only human and if they are having a crapy day they may take more off then they might in a good mood.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back