WAG Question for judges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gothgymmom

Proud Parent
exactly what is the deduction on L2 vault for crossing the white line when landing? My DD had a perfect vault this past weekend, but they deducted hard just for that! she got a 8.1 vault score! there was an inquiry about her vault score and that was the reason. so what exactly is the deduction? Im just curious as it seems like a huge deduction. she didnt pike when going over, was tight and straight the whole time.

0.5 if both hands land outside of the prescribed landing zone.
There are also other deductions parents don't necessarily think about... did you know that her run is judged? They can lose up to 0.9 just on the run!!!
Incorrect shoulder alignment can be up to 0.3
Not hitting the mat at a perfect handstand 0.05 - 2.0 off.
It's pure craziness!!!!

Hope this helps.

0.5 for hands over the line.

Usually where they get a lot of deduction (up to .9) is on the run and board contact. Even if they appeared to have a straight body. When writing the inquiry form, if the coach did not list this phase then the judge might have assumed they were just asking about the preflight phase.

If run was an area of weakness she might probably also get a dynamics deduction in the preflight phase. Other common deductions include incorrect head alignment and the angle they contact the mat (which can be an issue with the lower mat the level 2s use).

The judges here seem to be deducting a lot for weak runs and hitting the springboard. At least in level 3.

0.5 if both hands land outside of the prescribed landing zone.
There are also other deductions parents don't necessarily think about... did you know that her run is judged? They can lose up to 0.9 just on the run!!!
Incorrect shoulder alignment can be up to 0.3
Not hitting the mat at a perfect handstand 0.05 - 2.0 off.
It's pure craziness!!!!

Hope this helps.

They aren't allowed to judge the run , they are only allowed to start judging once you hurdle, but if you aren't in the correct body shape on the board they can take off

Scoring in general confuses me. One seems to do pretty well on routine while other several others literally forget half and score a tenth or two higher. And I was rooting for one of the ones that forgot (and the one that didn't) lol. Luckily they are young and just having fun. Good to know about the line on the vault mat though.

They aren't allowed to judge the run , they are only allowed to start judging once you hurdle, but if you aren't in the correct body shape on the board they can take off
. Actually, they are allowed to judge the run at the lower levels - up through level 3 I think - unless they've changed the rules since my DD was in those levels.

Trying to remember off the top of my head, but I think you can get up to .3 for lack of proper acceleration and up to .3 for chest being too far forward on the board hit. Can't remember the 3rd up to .3 deduction though.

Actually, at this level and L3 at least, they ARE allowed and even SUPPOSED to judge the run.

RUN and BOARD Contact:
Up to 0.30
Insufficient acceleration during the run

Up to 0.30
Failure to maintain horizontal running speed to the board

Up to 0.30
Excessive forward lean of the body upon board contact

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/compulsory/13comp_pages_102513.pdf

Not supposed to be but I'm positive they are in some of the meets I've been to. Whatever, there's not a whole lot more to take on these vaults, so if they judge the run for everyone I figure I can just go with it.

Interesting! Do you know if the run is judged in Excel? specifically in Bronze?
The closest they are SUPPOSED to get to judging the run in Bronze is the "Up to 0.3 for Insufficient dynamics (Speed / Power)", but as @gymdog said, as long as they are judging it for everyone, its ok. I think some judges just get confused by the rules in Bronze.

The closest they are SUPPOSED to get to judging the run in Bronze is the "Up to 0.3 for Insufficient dynamics (Speed / Power)", but as @gymdog said, as long as they are judging it for everyone, its ok. I think some judges just get confused by the rules in Bronze.

Usually there's level 2 and 3 on the sessions too so it's a bit confusing. Personally I'm fine with it being a thing to judge the run in that level, but it isn't officially, so that's annoying.

Not slowing down. The acceleration only refers to if the kid gets fast "somewhere" in her run. If she then slows down near the board she's not maintaining the speed. However usually they'll get hit on both because they likely could have been faster (accelerated more) just in that case to a lesser degree on the acceleration point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back