round off on beam fear...please help me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys,
So about 3 months ago I had my round off on the high beam, but my coaches made me re-learn it because i was landing sideways, however I was not afraid to do the skill. Now it's three months later and my roundoff that I re-learned is still on the low beam. My coaches say that its perfectly fine and to move it up but I just won't go. This also occasionally happens even when I do it on the low beam. I really want to have it before the summer so that way I can focus on other beam skills. Any advice on how to get over the mental block?

Thanks,
Emily

I agree with Dunno, a roundoff may be scary on the high beam and i understand the mental block (i have....trillions! of my own) but a roundoff is s.imple; lunge, hands squared on beam, push through shoulders, feet go over and square with end of beam, and press the landing.

If it helps you could try going slower or just doing a cartwheel step in and work it up faster. Good luck!

I always have my gymnasts start w a cartwheel step in that gets faster & faster as they get more confident off the high beam. Also, ALWAYS jump off the end after you do the skill-whether it be cartwheel or roundoff.... it helps my gymnasts a lot. Also, use opposition arms on the hurdle- it keeps you more square-and the later you turn the more square it will be-and less scary!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back