Shooting Star

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
My dd has now spent three months doing pennance in L2 after the big TOPs class fiasco at our gym.

She only has one skill to "get" before she can move up & it's the shooting star off the bars. The TOPs coach never really gave them much time on the bars so, of course, it's her hardest event.

She can do a squat-on to jump to the high bar, but getting those feet up in that straddle (and keeping them there while she swings around) is absolutely eluding her.

Anyone have any tips that could help her out - the coach that makes the move-up decisions is on maternity leave and will be back at the end of June so she's hoping to get that skill in time for testing then.

After that, she's only got one L3 bar skill (leg cuts) to move to L4, so hopefully, she'll be back on track by January move-up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Liz

I always tell my little ones when I teach it to cast high and try and get their bottom right up so they can put their feet on. It is very different to a squat on. Then they need to hook their hands round the bar and pull the bar in while pushing hard on the balls of their feet (like pointing toes). It is hard to do if they put the arch of their foot on the bar -they just come off.

She says she has been placing her arches on the bar and she never gets to swing her bottom around because her feet fly off so that very well may be part of it - she can hardly wait to get to the gym to try it this way.

Thanks!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back