Coaches Spotting fulls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I and two other coaches were discussing the best way to spot a full on floor, and I wanted to hear how some other coaches spot them.

As much detail as you can give about how you spot fulls would be great, but there are two particular things I'd like to know: 1) Do you use more of a cross-arm-style spot or a bump-and-catch-style? (or, if you use some other style, what is it? 2) Which side do you spot on? (ie do you always spot from the right/left, always spot so they're twisting toward/away from you, etc)

I don't spot fulls for team gymnasts.

If I were going to spot a full for a rec. gymnast or a cheerleader...

[video=youtube;gUbvtZZAfd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUbvtZZAfd8[/video]

...belly towards the spotter first.

I spot exactly like the video, switching sides. But, like JBS I don't spot for team, only cheer.

On a slightly different note, the video is from the closest gym to me:) I spend a bit of time judging there! Made me laugh when I opened it.

I too spot like the video. I stand on the left side of the athlete (left twister) as they enter the skill, my right hand helps with the rebound to control the direction or height if needed), then my left arm enters from below to replace the right hand. My left hand ends up on the athletes right waist and my right hand ends up on the athletes left waist for the landing.
It is recommended by most to spot so the athlete twists into the spotter. If for some reason the spotter interferes with or gets too close and bumps the athlete, the athlete will remain close to the spotter as opposed to the athlete bouncing away from the spotter if the same thing happens with the athlete twisting away from the spotter.
The bump and catch seems to be popular with some spotters. Maybe because they are taller or bulkier and are confident they can catch the athlete under any circumstances.
The most important thing is for the spotter to be where he/she is most comfortable. I actually spot on the left for either direction of twist. I don't feel as coordinated spotting on the right side and therefore feel the athlete is at risk. I am not comfortable with the athlete possibly getting injured because of me.
If you spot a half twist first, you will probably develop a style that feels comfortable for you as they progress into the full.

I only spot the landing. (one of the reasons I teach a late twist: They're pretty much guaranteed to make the flip, even if they don't make the twist, and I can live a few weeks of short twists. One full twisting 3/4 back and I'm done).

I'm with coachgoofy. I tend to be there for the catch and try to teach the later twist. Unfortunately, far too many cheer tumblers seem to be taught to twist as early and as fast as possible. I find myself holding them in the air basically with their shoulder (the deltoids) in my hand. After that, I go back to trying to teach them what a layout is supposed to be like.

Like tumble-ready has said I spotted halfs first for the girls I was coaching and stuck with the bump and catch method after trying the one used in the video. I just felt much more comfortable and in control with doing it that way. Cheer is a totally different ball game though, those guys twist off the floor and stall out upside down.

Hi, new to the forum and already confused. Watched the above video and the girl with the left round-off twists left, and the girl with the right round-off twists right??? What am I missing there on twisting directions? As for the original question, I only safety spot the landing in case they get lost or bail, but by the time they are ready to try it on the floor they have it extremely well in the pit and on the tumble trak.

are you coming from t&t? if so, you didn't miss a thing. it is not what t&t does, but it is what gymnastics does but not with all gymnasts. and the subject matter has been discussed since the first forward roll by coaches all over.:)

are you coming from t&t?
Thanks for the reply dunno, but not TNT, just 18 years of gymnastics :). I didn't really know there was a debate?? A right round-off is a left twist, and vise versa as far as I've known. Works in 90% of the kids, with the exception of kids coming from other gyms were they aren't taught cartwheels both ways in the beginning, then we run into some non corresponding stuff.

after years of research, hours upon hours of video and a couple of published papers on this subject matter, i can tell you that the most predominant round off world wide is a left round off and then a corresponding left twist. next is right round off and then right twist. and finally, the opposite of both of those.

and of course this is all for a technical discussion but not in this thread.:)

I don't spot fulls for team gymnasts.

If I were going to spot a full for a rec. gymnast or a cheerleader...

[video=youtube;gUbvtZZAfd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUbvtZZAfd8[/video]

...belly towards the spotter first.

Not to be mean or anything, I don't think the kids in that video need to be working fulls until they fix their round off back handsprings. Maybe I'm just a little too picky.

Thanks dunno, where would an appropriate thread be located, and do you know what setting notifies me when there is a response to a subscribed thread? I thought I had everything checked in preferences, but aparently not........

sorry Gymsanity...i am absolutely the wrong person to ask this. i have a hard enough time getting my posts to post in one place!:)

and don't get me started on the pm's...i keep pm'ing myself somedays...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back