WAG State Meet report- SOOO CLOSE!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My little one has struggled a little bit to put up really high finishes this year. She didn't win a single gold medal all year. In fact, I don't think she cared at all about trying to win. That was fristrating for me. I try to teach my kids that competing to try to win is more important than actually winning. She has two really good friends on this year's team and I think she was afraid to be competitive with them. A few days ago out of the blue, she looked at me and said, "Dad, I love (Teammate #1) and (Teammate #2), but I'm going to try to beat them at state." What a difference that change in mentality made!

She was the state vault co-champion, state bars champion, beam runner-up and was the AA runner-up by less than a tenth of a point to her best friend. It was a breakthrough meet, but she was happiest for her friend's success. Her friend was also really happy when my daughter beat her on certain events. The love and support is great to see and I think it will serve them both well as they continue. Now onward to new Level 4 and the next set of challenges!

So glad to hear your DD had a break through on her mind set about competing her best, with her friends. My DGD has had the same problem for quite awhile. If I get a higher score than so- n- so she won't be my friend. Sadly this has happened on more than one occasion. These so called friends won't congratulate her and turn their backs on her at practice.:confused: We have always taught her that it is more important to always improve and try to beat your personal best than to worry about were you place. She gets it but it still hurts to have your teammates act that way. I'm glad your daughter had a very happy ending to her state meet.:)

So glad to hear your DD had a break through on her mind set about competing her best, with her friends. My DGD has had the same problem for quite awhile. If I get a higher score than so- n- so she won't be my friend. Sadly this has happened on more than one occasion. These so called friends won't congratulate her and turn their backs on her at practice.:confused: We have always taught her that it is more important to always improve and try to beat your personal best than to worry about were you place. She gets it but it still hurts to have your teammates act that way. I'm glad your daughter had a very happy ending to her state meet.:)
I have a video of my dd doing bars at a meet. Her team mate went before her, and as my dd was waiting to start her routine, she yelled that now my DD was going to beat her and turned her back on my dd. My dd fell off bars and was hurt as she was so shaken up by it. Mean girls are everywhere.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I was so excited to see that no one from dd's team is in her same age group at states. It is just easier when they aren't directly competing with people they are so close too. Sounds like your dd did great! Way to go!

I must say this is one thing that is so tough about gymnastics. It is an individual sport, but you are also competing as a team. So often the girls you are closest to and train with every day are your biggest competitors. It sounds like your dd has the right attitude cbone! She wants to win, but is also very happy for her friend when she won instead. I imagine this will be tough to balance over the years, but it sounds like she's off to a great start!

Krystan- at lunch after the meet, they were bickering about who won what this year and last year in a really fun and good natured way. I'm so glad it was out in the open to be discussed. I personally feel that when competition can be openly discussed, it doesn't get nasty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back