WAG Switching from righty to lefty half way through compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Funny you should say that, her right split is better...I'm with you gymdog...I don't get it either!

From a dance perspective, I wonder if she is doing the left split leap because she is more comfortable jumping off her right leg? I am righty and find the grand jete (ballet equivalent of split leap) more natural with my left leg forward because the power in the jump comes from the back leg. But my right split is less pathetic than the left, and I find sissones easier with the right leg in front.

You may be right. She did dance for 4 years (before gymnastics took over her life! Lol) I should look back at old video to see if she always did it left.

You may be right. She did dance for 4 years (before gymnastics took over her life! Lol) I should look back at old video to see if she always did it left.
Usually, in dance, you do whatever side leap the choreography requires. My dd's dance teacher pushes them to learn to leap and turn both ways, though it's clear most kids have a better leg. It drives dd crazy, because the more often preferred side tends to be right and she's better left.

From a dance perspective, I wonder if she is doing the left split leap because she is more comfortable jumping off her right leg? I am righty and find the grand jete (ballet equivalent of split leap) more natural with my left leg forward because the power in the jump comes from the back leg. But my right split is less pathetic than the left, and I find sissones easier with the right leg in front.

I think you are onto something. I'm a lefty, but I do my split leaps righty because it feels more natural to jump off of my good/left leg. Sissone left leg in front.

It's the same thing with kickovers. Kids will often try to push off their good leg even though that should be the leg going up first.
I find it harder to correct once it's gone unnoticed for a while.

Usually, in dance, you do whatever side leap the choreography requires. My dd's dance teacher pushes them to learn to leap and turn both ways, though it's clear most kids have a better leg. It drives dd crazy, because the more often preferred side tends to be right and she's better left.
Yes. And in class, you do everything both ways, then backwards...

Reactions: sce
In traditional ballet I think they usually take way longer to have kids do some dance skills and combinations than we do in gymnastics. Kind of like how long gymnasts practice handstands before back handsprings, I'm think most ballet dancers would be horrified by compulsory "dance" in general.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back