WAG Switching from righty to lefty half way through compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Puma Jr will be competing L4 and she told me that half way through the floor routine she switches to lefty! It's about 40 seconds in, after the sissone she takes an extra step and leaps with her left foot forward. She then continues to do the full turn and BWO opposite of the compulsory video. She does switch back to righty for the final tumbling pass. Her coach and another trusted source say that this will not be a deduction. I guess my question is if this looks awkward to a judge? Is this odd?! She has improved a lot since our gym change, but her form still is a work in progress so she needs every tenth she can get! Just curious if anyone else (coaches and judges especially) have seen this...thanks!

My DD did this- she was mostly a lefty except she did roundoff to the right (pretty sure I got that correct). Anyway, it was never something she was deducted for- she always scored very high on beam and floor.

My daughter has similar she tumbles left and right, some skills are left and some right. They have had to accommodate her routines for such and she is not having an issue. I am actual glad to see such post thought it was just her :).

My daughter has similar she tumbles left and right, some skills are left and some right. They have had to accommodate her routines for such and she is not having an issue. I am actual glad to see such post thought it was just her :).
What level is she? Last year mine did Xcel Gold and probably did the same thing, but I didn't notice because it didn't matter. I would think it would stand out in compulsories since the judges have seen these same routines so many times. But it's good to know we're not alone! :)

It won't matter at all in the optional world, but in the compulsory world it can. The text provides us coaches with the appropriate ways to "reverse" certain skills. Some skills are not allowed to be reversed without deductions. I personally avoid any reversals if possible. I used to have a gymnast that had to reverse skills and even though we followed the text, I felt like she was deducted because it looked wrong and possibly the judges didn't realize what she was doing.

This will be a deduction. Only skills indicated by an asterisk in the written version of the routine can be done on opposite legs than the routine. The leap series does not have an asterisk in it at all, meaning if she sissonne's right, takes an extra step, and leaps/hops left than it's a deduction. The full turn can also not be done on the left leg is your gymnast is competing a right routine. The BWO however, can be switched without deduction. The leap is worth 0.6, and the full turn is worth 0.4, so she'll lose 0.5 (0.3+0.2) total for switching these elements.

This will be a deduction. Only skills indicated by an asterisk in the written version of the routine can be done on opposite legs than the routine. The leap series does not have an asterisk in it at all, meaning if she sissonne's right, takes an extra step, and leaps/hops left than it's a deduction. The full turn can also not be done on the left leg is your gymnast is competing a right routine. The BWO however, can be switched without deduction. The leap is worth 0.6, and the full turn is worth 0.4, so she'll lose 0.5 (0.3+0.2) total for switching these elements.
Uggggg..but thank you! I assume her coaches feel that deduction is worth the hit if she's significantly better on the one side? I'll have to ask.

I just double checked and you're right-she does actually turn on the left foot too (I thought it was just opposite direction, but I guess this makes sense) Will they definitely double ding her? I mean once she takes the step and switches it to left, it makes sense that the turn and BWO would be left. I feel like it would look worse if she switched back? At least it flows this way... I can pm video if this doesn't make sense...thank you for your help!

All of the dance (incl leaps and turns) has to be done the same way. Certain skills can be reversed (as indicated by an asterisk), but not the dance. It may be better to do the lefty routine and reverse the gymnastic elements (e.g. round off) to right. Or she can just learn how to leap and turn right. As a coach, I wouldn't be happy with taking all those extra deductions, especially at level 4.

The routines have provisions for certain skills to be switched or the entire routine. Not sure about switching partway through like that. There may be an issue with her switching partway through the leap pass, as it adds a step where the text does not have one. The pass is sissone, sache, step, leap, step, jump. Where does she add the step? She does the sissone and the leap on different legs?!?

The routines have provisions for certain skills to be switched or the entire routine. Not sure about switching partway through like that. There may be an issue with her switching partway through the leap pass, as it adds a step where the text does not have one. The pass is sissone, sache, step, leap, step, jump. Where does she add the step? She does the sissone and the leap on different legs?!?
Yes. The sissone has her right leg forward and somehow in that chasse she switches her legs and her left leg is forward in the leap. I keep slowing down the videos and watching both her and the compulsory girl and trying to figure it out. It really doesn't look awkward ( to my untrained eye!!) but somehow she must sneak a step in....I don't know! Lol! I'll send you video...

Why does she does this? It doesn't really make sense to me. Of course I have kids who want to kick over their opposite leg or do left roundoff and right everything else, but I don't really "get" doing a right sissone and a left split leap. What leg is her best split? That leg should really be her split jump, split leap, back walkover. It should all be the same.

Why does she does this? It doesn't really make sense to me. Of course I have kids who want to kick over their opposite leg or do left roundoff and right everything else, but I don't really "get" doing a right sissone and a left split leap. What leg is her best split? That leg should really be her split jump, split leap, back walkover. It should all be the same.
Funny you should say that, her right split is better...I'm with you gymdog...I don't get it either!

Reactions: sce
If her right split is better, then right split leap and right walkover should be better. What she may be getting confused about is doing chasse on non dominant leg in compulsory routine. A righty needs to do a left leg chasse. Some kids have an issue with this. To them, it makes more sense to do a good leg chasse and a bad leg leap. But this results in more deductions overall. I would find it hard to believe that this strategy would pay off. But I really don't know, I guess I would have to see it.

Lots of kids do try to do kick overs and walk overs with their non dominant leg in front because it means they're standing on their dominant leg. However, it's usually best to do it so that the best split is the split they're in (meaning right split dominant needs to walkover right leg leading).

If her right split is better, then right split leap and right walkover should be better. What she may be getting confused about is doing chasse on non dominant leg in compulsory routine. A righty needs to do a left leg chasse. Some kids have an issue with this. To them, it makes more sense to do a good leg chasse and a bad leg leap. But this results in more deductions overall. I would find it hard to believe that this strategy would pay off. But I really don't know, I guess I would have to see it.

Lots of kids do try to do kick overs and walk overs with their non dominant leg in front because it means they're standing on their dominant leg. However, it's usually best to do it so that the best split is the split they're in (meaning right split dominant needs to walkover right leg leading).
Thank you! Oh, the anomaly that is Puma Jr....

Thank you! Oh, the anomaly that is Puma Jr....
It took me until L4 to realize that DD was lefty going forward, but righty going backwards. And I only figured this out talking with someone else about L3 bridge/kickover. Three years of competing, and my untrained eye NEVER noticed - LOL!

Reactions: sce
It took me until L4 to realize that DD was lefty going forward, but righty going backwards. And I only figured this out talking with someone else about L3 bridge/kickover. Three years of competing, and my untrained eye NEVER noticed - LOL!
Yea, I had no clue! Apparently she does FHS and even kicks up to handstand lefty too! Who knew? In retrospect, they probably should have taught her the whole thing lefty, but with less than 6 weeks until the first meet I think it's too late now! I assume she already had learned a bunch of stuff each way, so they did the best they could... I have to keep remembering they've only had 4 months.

What level is she? Last year mine did Xcel Gold and probably did the same thing, but I didn't notice because it didn't matter. I would think it would stand out in compulsories since the judges have seen these same routines so many times. But it's good to know we're not alone! :)

She was Xcel last year and is level 4 this year.

She was Xcel last year and is level 4 this year.
Same here! The plan at the old gym was to have her do Xcel, then score out of 4/5 and start optionals. She did do L3 two seasons ago until that gym started this Xcel plan. But we switched gyms in June.

My DD is in the same path. I am in the no worries camp. Her coaches do not seem to be bothered by it and she is doing well. 4/5 will be over before you know it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back