Tipping at Summer Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
My DD just spent the last week at IGC. My question is about tipping the counselors. The materials note that you should feel free to tip, but don't feel obligated. My question is - who should be tipped and how much? There are a couple counselor's in the cabin, but different instructors for each gym session. I can't see tipping everyone, but felt bad not doing anything. Thoughts? What do you do about tipping at summer camps?

Tres gauche.

IGC, pay your staff and do not allow tipping. Do any other camps allow this, I am not aware of any that do. Sheesh, you already spent a small fortune to take your child there to begin with.

I would never tip staff at gym camp, that is so cheezy of IGC to even mention it. ICK! A smile and a thank you should be plenty!

I was a counselor at Flip Fest a few years ago and was not tipped, the thought of being tipped by parents never even crossed my mind. Don't feel bad for not doing anything, like Bog said, it's cheezy of them to even mention that.

No I don't tip the councelors there is no need it's not a hotel.

My DD who is 13 this year however does make some little trinkets before she goes to give to her favorite councelors when the week is up as a thank you.

She is very crafty and has always been since she was young(she sews, crochetes, knits, does beading, etc)

This year she crocheted granny square slippers. Very easy to make and you get about 4 pairs out of one skein (ball) of yarn. She has also made some bun covers to give to friends at the end of the week. She takes a business card stock and has her name and contact info on the card and then attaches it to the bun cover or what ever little gift she decided to make. When it's time to leave she gives them to her camp friends so they can keep in touch.

I tipped the bunk counselors. They're kids, probably don't make all that much, and I wanted to show appreciation.I was a camp counselor for many years, and I appreciated tips.
That said, I think it is also fine to just say a warm thank you.

As a former camp counselor (but not at a gymnastics camp), some parents did tip us at the end of the summer. While the money was certainly appreciated, the act of it always made me feel a little uncomfortable.

If a counselor has done something special that your child has mentioned(helping with homesickness, helping get past a mental block, etc.) a handwritten note with a token (something like an iTunes or Starbucks gift card) would be really meaningful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back