WAG Tsuk Layout - Are they allowed in L8?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD tried a tsuk layout for the first time today. She thought it was a lot easier and she could get more air out of it than her pike. Is that an allowable vault at L8? I understand that it's a 10 SV at L9, so figure she needs to compete the pike this year. She's got a good pike, but she wouldn't mind competing a layout if she could use it two years. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

DD tried a tsuk layout for the first time today. She thought it was a lot easier and she could get more air out of it than her pike. Is that an allowable vault at L8? I understand that it's a 10 SV at L9, so figure she needs to compete the pike this year. She's got a good pike, but she wouldn't mind competing a layout if she could use it two years. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
=
no lay in level 8. :)

Thx Coach P. DD's going to be a little disappointed because she did at least 1/2 dozen layouts today and really thought they were easier. I assume that's not normal??? Do most gyms train multiple vaults at the same time? They're primarily working tsuks (most girls are working tucks but a couple including mine are just doing pikes), plus they work yurchenkos at least once a week for uptraining. It may just be this time of year or because they're trying to figure out vault works best for each girls (some are going straight to the yurchenko and not working tsuks). Just seems confusing to me to work more than one.

Not to worry. Just flash the number for a pike tsuk and put about a 15 degree pike into the layout for the first two thirds of the rotation.

There's probably something else at play with respect to your dd's ability to layout better than pike. My first guess is that she's blocking with more energy, and lifting her arms (very briefly), shoulders, and chest. I'm sure she and her coach can figure it all out.

Thanks IWC - pretty spot on as always. She mentioned something about both the block and the arms. Her coaches are great so not worried about her not only getting it, but excelling at vault. It's just after 3 years of near constant HS vault, it's a little confusing to grasp the wide variety of vaults and vault drills they're now tackling. The flipping world is a lot more exciting, but I just don't understand the progression yet.

No big deal about understanding everything. It sounds like the coaches are all over it. I bet next year's meets are gonna be a lot more fun to sit through while you wait for her to vault. Let me give you two bits of advice on waiting for, and then watching as your dear daughter pushes off into the post flight of what's gotta be a great vault.........

1. Give you popcorn and beverage to someone stable to hold onto......

2. Try to sit slightly away from innocent bystanders, well bysitters I suppose.:D

multiple vaults, yes, I wouldn't really consider a pike vs layout as a multiple vault though, more like a natural progression,
As far as multiple vaults, I have 2 kids that do, Handspring fronts, tsuks, and Roundoff entry. I have one girl working, Roundoff entry, tsuk and front handspring entry as well. (front handspring on the board). I know a lot of people just stick with the Roundoff entry vaults, but I like a variety, keeps me focused and allows the kids to benefit from strengths instead of cookie cutters.

My dd does Tsuk lo better than Tsuk pike as well. She scored very well on her Tsuk pike last year as an 8, winning vault consistently, a good sign for your dd vagymmomma. She must have great block to feel more confident with lo. Mine is soooo afraid of the yurchenko and avoids practicing it/drills for that. The problem I see for my dd is there are more 10 sv for yurchenko vaults and less options for Tsuk entry. So dd is limiting herself by not even trying yurchenko entry. Just something to think about if dd gets too focused on doing her layout for 9.

multiple vaults, yes, I wouldn't really consider a pike vs layout as a multiple vault though, more like a natural progression,
As far as multiple vaults, I have 2 kids that do, Handspring fronts, tsuks, and Roundoff entry. I have one girl working, Roundoff entry, tsuk and front handspring entry as well. (front handspring on the board). I know a lot of people just stick with the Roundoff entry vaults, but I like a variety, keeps me focused and allows the kids to benefit from strengths instead of cookie cutters.

I think she was referring to her dd also working yurchenkos but it was near the front of the thread somewhere.

I bet next year's meets are gonna be a lot more fun to sit through while you wait for her to vault. Let me give you two bits of advice on waiting for, and then watching as your dear daughter pushes off into the post flight of what's gotta be a great vault.........

1. Give you popcorn and beverage to someone stable to hold onto......

2. Try to sit slightly away from innocent bystanders, well bysitters I suppose.:D

I am yet to see her perform any of the vaults, so I remain blissfully unaware of the actual goings on. My fear is generally guided by what I hear from DD, so I am going to continue to pretend that vault will not be a problem next year since she remains steadfastly confident. ;) However, given my usual nervous energy during any meet, I'll certainly be sure to secure all food and beverages items while she's competing. It can't be as bad as watching beam? Right? Can't be. Simply can't.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back