What kind of gym do you go to?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i am currently searching for a new gym, because the my present gym is not the right one (coaches ignore me). My mom decided she wanted me to try-out XXXXX gymnastics, a well known gym to be very selective and picky. She chose this gym because it was a reasonable distance away, however a girl (basicly my sister:D) left an old gym that we trained at and moved to eagle were she was shot down for team, and told to be in rec.

I believe i am going to attepmt to try this gym very soon (within the next few days) and not only am i sooooo nervous, i have decided that a more... she we say "structured" gym is what i want and need. but i was just wondering what kind of gym do you go to?

P.S. my current gym is an open house with conditioning like gym, except for the favorited gymnasts, we are not taught and i am done with it!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it XXXXX in XX? If it is, then they seem to have very good upper levels, but only average compulsaries. But it does seem like a good program if you want to go into the higher levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not give too much info out about you or your gyms. This site is full of people who are very interesed in stalking young gymnasts. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Well I voted Average but I needed another choice - Supportive and encouraging in a very positive way. So that is what I'm hoping average means.

My gym is run through the city's recreation district. Our EAGLES team (more rec level gymnastics) is bigger than our USAG team. We're in a tourist town so all winter girls on vacation in our town come and train with us. We finally got a new gym a couple years ago but we still get second priority to the town's competitive freestyle ski and snowboard teams. But I wouldn't change it for the world! I love my gym.

The gym I work at is VERY laid back. I can't say it's the type of program I would have chosen to attend as a gymnast, or the kind I would choose to coach at, but it has it's benefits. It's a great environment for girls who want to do other things, have siblings also involved in sports, don't want to devote tons of time and money to gymnastics, those kinds of things. The Tramp & Tumbling team is the focus. They are a decent sized team, do well in competition, and do well with the laid back atmosphere. The girls artistic program doesn't respond as well to the laid back atmosphere, often resulting in a lack of solid basics, attempting skills they are not ready for, and mediocre scores at meets. The lackluster showing at meets is frustrating for some, but nothing seems to change. The girls team has gotten so small that I don't really help coach anymore, I'm actually okay with that because I felt like I was fighting a losing battle anyway.
I think laid back programs can be great for some people, but I also think if that's the path your gym wants to take, you need to be upfront with the parents about that.

My gym is really laid-back. I thought at first it was just because I go to the adult's class, which is daft and no-pressure, but I've got there early on a few occasions and seen the class before (who are about 7-8yrs old) and they also look pretty fun and free. Last week they were playing dodge-ball as conditioning!

Personally I'd like a gym with classes that were a bit more structured, rather than a kind of 'we're going to do bars today, work on whatever skills you want!' attitude - but all the more serious classes round here start at about 5pm, which would mean persuading my boss to let me leave work early. Don't think that'd go down well. :p

My gym is really laid-back. I thought at first it was just because I go to the adult's class, which is daft and no-pressure, but I've got there early on a few occasions and seen the class before (who are about 7-8yrs old) and they also look pretty fun and free. Last week they were playing dodge-ball as conditioning!

Personally I'd like a gym with classes that were a bit more structured, rather than a kind of 'we're going to do bars today, work on whatever skills you want!' attitude - but all the more serious classes round here start at about 5pm, which would mean persuading my boss to let me leave work early. Don't think that'd go down well. :p

does your handle name come from the Dutch language?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back