Whats a mock meet ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I dont really know what a mock meet is . I have a mock meet coming up In 18 days .
And I just started team so I dont really know what it is. Am I suppose to wear my competition leotard ?
And What am i suppose to do with my hair ? Do I have to Do a hair style ?

Any Advice ?

in our gym a mock meet is a meet that is just for our gym and usually isn't sanctioned. It will have judges and you will go through the events just like a real meet and get scored - no 2nd chances. The gym usually will tell you what to wear, how to do hair etc but it has been my experience that it is comp leos, hair all done up and sprayed the way your gym wants it. Our old gym everyone had to have a tight bun our new gym hair off the face (ponytail is good if it doesn't become loose but Daughter wants the bun like at old gym she says she just can't compete without it). It is usually done so the coaches can see where you are at and where improvement is needed. Sometimes if they need someone to "score out" to the next level it can be used by the gym and will be sanctioned for that purpose. At least that has been my experience with my Daughter's old gym.

Just ask your coaches these same questions and I'm sure that they will answer them between now and the mock meet.

Definitely ask the coaches. Mock meets at our gym were a lot less formal than Cher's experience (i.e., no judging). The mock meets were designed for the lower level team girls and was intended to give them experience performing in front of a crowd. I'd be very surprised if they were sanctioned meets.

We only had one judge unless the optionals were involved in the mock meet. After each event the judge would let each girl know where they lost points. The only time they had it "sanctioned" was so someone could skip a level and score out. Although they did have a meet every Sept with just our gym that was sanctioned so the girls wouldn't have the pressure of a "real" meet in a different gym with everyone watching so they could get scores to qualify for sectionals without the stress of a full blown meet.

I've seen mock meets with and without judges. It can be done very formally with the girls wearing their comp leos, having 1-2 judges and marching from event to event OR more relaxed with just the coaches watching routines and no comp leo.
Basically its used to get the girls in competition mode mentally, try and give new kids an idea of what a competition is like or just get everyone focused for an important meet coming up.

in our gym, it is very relaxed. it's just a time for the new gymnasts to get used to moving between events, sitting and waiting your turn, presenting yourselves to the judges (parents take this role) and performing in front of other people. They HC encourages the new girls to wear their comp. leos so they get a feel for them before actually competing in them. there's a big difference between tanks and long sleeves so it's good to get the girls used to that - how it stretches, feels on the different equipment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back