Where can you get a low beam online?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I got this beam from DGS 9.9, but I got it in a beam and panel mat combo that cost less than both of them together. That was a couple years ago; I don't know if they still have that combo. :)

We found ours on Craig's List. Paid $50 and they brought it to our house.

I found pics of it online on ebay. The girls and I went to HomeDepot to buy the materials. The guys there saw what the ones on ebay were going for. They made one for me. We bought all the supplies. It cost 15 bucks. Then we padded it with yoga mats as per a website online. It works well. The girls can practice routines on it and handstands. Her coaches have seen it and okayed it. :)

I found pics of it online on ebay. The girls and I went to HomeDepot to buy the materials. The guys there saw what the ones on ebay were going for. They made one for me. We bought all the supplies. It cost 15 bucks. Then we padded it with yoga mats as per a website online. It works well. The girls can practice routines on it and handstands. Her coaches have seen it and okayed it. :)

I was actually thinking of making one instead. Do you have any instructions? What kind of material was the beam covered with?

My mom and sister and I went to home depot. The guy used a landscaping piece of wood and another thin piece of wood. He made three small boxes it sits on. One on the front, middle, and back. Then we bought yoga mats at walmart. We stapled them on using a staple gun.

Here are some pics my mom and I took. The middle box is turned sideways as not to get in the way.
Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

• p_00131.jpg
    p_00131.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 33
  • p_00130.jpg
    p_00130.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 27
  • beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 28
Excuse the toys in the background. LOL This pic was taken to get an idea of what it looks like.
How to build a Gymnastics Balance Beam
It suggest covering the yoga mats with suede but we haven't done that. Our's is a little more narrow than a normal beam. hubby says that could be fixed by shaving the top down to the wider part.
Hope these help.

Attachments

• 100_1997.jpg
    100_1997.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_2004.jpg
    100_2004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
My daughter and I just made one! It cost under $35 to get the necessary materials from Home Depot.
We got a 4"x4"x10' piece of doug fir, a 2"x12" plank of doug fir which we had cut into two 1 foot lengths, and some indoor/outdoor super low pile carpet for 39 cents/sq ft. The carpet is sold by 12" lengths and we had them cut 2 feet deep.
We ended up cutting a foot off of the 4"x4" post (for storage reasons) once we got home- so now it is a 9' length. we wrapped the beam and bases and used a staple gun to secure the seam. We also wrapped the 2 base pieces with carpet remnants before using 3" wood screws (2 for each base piece) to stabalize the beam. We attached the base beginning about 6" in from the ends so we wouldnt risk splitting the beam that we had just wrapped.
So far, so good, but we just made it this afternoon. She is under 60 lbs and a level 4 so it should work great for her skill building. (Although I am 150 lbs and felt safe doing a cartwheel and full turn and handstands.)I will take some photos tomorrow and post so you can get a visual.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back