wolf jumps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
for those who can see my avatar, is that a decent wolf jump? I always thought it was so pretty and she makes it look so easy with great height but then dd's coach pulled it from her beam routine saying there was too much risk of deductions. DD doesn't like me meddling too much in her training, so I didn't bother the coaches with it but I was just curious that maybe I am missing something - should her torso be more vertical? her toes are pointed and her straight leg is almost always complete horizontal during meets. She is solid on the landing as well -It's the 1st part of a jump series, followed by a split 1/4turn

if she hits that position each and every time it's beautiful gymnastics. if they don't, they deduct the heck out of it. and sometimes won't give credit at all for the skill. the coach knows best when you're fighting for tenths. in college it won't be so precarious.:)

if she hits that position each and every time it's beautiful gymnastics. if they don't, they deduct the heck out of it. and sometimes won't give credit at all for the skill. the coach knows best when you're fighting for tenths. in college it won't be so precarious.:)

college? - don't even want to think about that now! :eek: she's 11 and will be training L7 this summer. Has been in prep-op. Coach took it out for state meet - if what you say is true about not counting it, then it makes a lot of sense. because it is in a series, then the series wouldn't count either.... thanks

can't tell she's 11 from that little picture. but i recognize a great position when i see it. it's perfect, really.:)

I'm personally not a fan of wolf jumps because I've seen them so much, and very poorly executed. There are other jumps of the same value that are easier to perform and add that little bit of variety to a judge's day. The fact that your DD's coach pulled the skill before the State meet tells me that there were inconsistencies in her jump that the coach didn't want to chance in a big meet. It makes perfect sense.

I'm personally not a fan of wolf jumps because I've seen them so much, and very poorly executed. There are other jumps of the same value that are easier to perform and add that little bit of variety to a judge's day. The fact that your DD's coach pulled the skill before the State meet tells me that there were inconsistencies in her jump that the coach didn't want to chance in a big meet. It makes perfect sense.

Thanks. We don't see many wolf jumps on beam in prep op. Lots on floor though, and you are right, they are rarely performed well - even from a spectator point of view. after thinking about it more last night, I think for my dd, it probably had more to do with it being in a series rather than the execution of the actual wolf jump. I looked back at her videos and she hit the position at every meet, but she wobbled on the landing on a couple, which caused a pause in the series

The fact that your DD's coach pulled the skill before the State meet tells me that there were inconsistencies in her jump that the coach didn't want to chance in a big meet. It makes perfect sense.

This is what I was thinking too, although that picture looks great :) My little DD has a wolf jump but from what I understand, most girls cannot execute them consistently (older DD could not).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back